Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

Has anyone used these and have experience with them. Our local Lidl has them for 50 bucks, has a car jack and outlet plug. Seems like it could be a good option even if it is a bit small. At least for drinks anyway.

Anyone use em?

Attachments

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Those are most likely thermoelectric coolers and they are not refrigerators.

Very inefficient and will not cool any food to a safe temperature.
They are power hogs as well.

Reactions: DMS1 and SorrTrek

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

Thanks.

Figured I'd I got one, I would use it for drinks during diving but nothing wise really.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

. @mep1811 is right, it's a thermoelectric cooler, much like the Coleman ones you see at truck stops.

They are essentially an ice cooler with a fan in the lid, but no compressor, freon or cooling agent.

They may at best keep your food about 45-50 degrees cooler than ambient temps in your vehicle. Which in summer, when you need it most, means warm beer and meat and the rest of the year means just barely passable, if you keep it out of the sun and park your vehicle in the shade.

I've had a couple of the Colemans over the years, and in the long run found they just aren't worth it. They need more maintenance and attention than my ARB 50 and use more power. My ARB was ten times as expensive, but will last, judging from experience, a hell of a lot longer than ten Colemans or Crivits.

*** If you do get one, here's some TIPS:
- Keep that sucker as full as you can. It will work harder to cool empty space.
- Start off with freshly-filled frozen water bottles and small flexible ice-packs to fill any empty spaces.
- Keep extra ice-packs to put in whenever you take something out. Keep it full. Even with my ARB I keep a small soft-sided lunch cooler for stashing extra ice-packs.
- Get a couple sheets of freezer style bubble wrap cut to size to keep inside over the top of everything, or make one out of Reflectix style thermal wrap doubled up and taped around the edges. Then you just lift the side you want to get into, keeping as much cold in as you can.

Here's a youtube review, in which the Crivit he has gets down to just under 50ºF (10ºC). Keep in mind he is in an apartment at constant temps, not a vehicle going through a wide range of conditions.

Also keep in mind a typical fridge in a house is usually around 38-40ºF (3.3-4.4ºC). A difference of 10 degrees F might not seem like a lot, but it is when trying to keep drinks cold and food from spoiling.

Good luck man; let us know if you get one and how it works out. Could be just the thing for some folks for day trips right time of year.

Reactions: SorrTrek

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

Yesh, it's doubtful at this point. I appreciate your thorough input. Seems my Roto coolers are probably comparable for what I'm doing, so no need to waste money on this.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Road