Ben
Last Name
Corbisiero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC2WAO
Service Branch
USCG
Looking into going to Crater Lake, anyone know a a good spot to stay? I haven't been there yet. Thanks for the advice.

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

I’ve never stayed around there, but a good source for research (along with this forum) that I use is iOverlander. It can be used on your computer as well as a mobile device. Here’s a screen shot of the Crater Lake area.

The three rules of mountaineering:

1 - Look good
2 - Act cool
3 - Safety third

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I've been to Crater Lake many times, but never stayed overnight. I'll be interested to see what suggestions people have, as well as where you end up staying.

Merk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Renton, WA
Member #

There are some campgrounds on the NW side of diamond lake. I stayed there last summer when we climbed Mt. Thielsen. I found it to be a good base camp, as its only 20 minutes North of Crater and right on the edge of Umpqua. We also camped along a couple FS roads in Umpqua

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

As it is a National Park, camping is restricted to designated campgrounds only. I was there a little over a year ago. The campground that I stayed at was clean, but very busy. I was surprised at how busy it was for the end of September / beginning of October. There are some sites that you can reserve, and others that are on a first come first serve basis.

If you know the dates, I would strongly recommend reservations. I would also recommend you take your own firewood as they have been known to run out.