Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

Does anyone here have experience making their own gear out of Cordura or other sturdy materials? What tools work well for you? Are there shops that let you use their machines so you don’t need to buy a lot of specialized stuff?

I want to make a tool roll-type carrier for kitchen stuff that fits in my galley crate and can be unfolded and either hang or lay out for easy access. I really like the FrontRunner camp kitchen set but it’s way overkill for us so it will be better to make my own.

What are some early mistakes I can avoid in making this kind of thing? I’d like to get it right the first time.

Would like to use 500d Cordura to keep it light and easy to work with, but would the extra durability and rigidity of 1000d be helpful?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Does anyone here have experience making their own gear out of Cordura or other sturdy materials? What tools work well for you? Are there shops that let you use their machines so you don’t need to buy a lot of specialized stuff?

I want to make a tool roll-type carrier for kitchen stuff that fits in my galley crate and can be unfolded and either hang or lay out for easy access. I really like the FrontRunner camp kitchen set but it’s way overkill for us so it will be better to make my own.

What are some early mistakes I can avoid in making this kind of thing? I’d like to get it right the first time.

Would like to use 500d Cordura to keep it light and easy to work with, but would the extra durability and rigidity of 1000d be helpful?

I've found and bought a few old-style gear-driven sewing machines at Salvation Army. Cast metal, rugged and last forever. Gear driven means no belts to slip, fray, or deteriorate and that they typically can go through thicker material amd multiple layers of thicker material. I bought them to learn how to sew canvas and denim.

These vintage machines get snapped up pretty quick by immigrants around here, who greatly prefer them over newer machines. I got mine for $35-50, and have three. Never really have played with them much because I'm on the road a lot more than not. But grabbed them when I saw them as awesome machines.

Look into what "walking foot" means and if the machines you're looking at can use, or have, a walking foot. It helps ensure the top piece of fabric moves under the needle at the same rate as the bottom piece that is moved through by the feed dogs. More important, from what I've learned, with thicker fabrics and multiple layers.

Here's a page of vintage machines of the type I'm talking about:

I have a couple of the White sewing machines, orginally from Cleveland OH, if I remember right.

Here's a thread about making one's own adventure gear:

And check out Big Duck Canvas; they're the best resource for HD fabrics. Here's their cordura page:

They sent me a nice sample book of weights and colors.

** Check the local sewing machine repair shops around Houston . . . I'm sure there are a bunch. They will either have something for you cheap or can provide some solid info on what to look for on craigslist, eBay, yard sales, Salvation Army, etc.

My point is, you don't have to spend a ton and can find some really good machines cheap, that will far out perform any household sewing machine.