Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I am a big guy I use a big guy sleeping bag, this thing does not roll up very small, well it did at the factory but I dont have a machine to do it for me so it aint been that way since, what do you guys use to compress down your big bags?, tried and am done with the tight roll deal........Looked at some sacks on ebay and they are all made for midgets/little people or kids......

Help

Jim

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

I am a big guy I use a big guy sleeping bag, this thing does not roll up very small, well it did at the factory but I dont have a machine to do it for me so it aint been that way since, what do you guys use to compress down your big bags?, tried and am done with the tight roll deal........Looked at some sacks on ebay and they are all made for midgets/little people or kids......

Help

Jim
When I roll up my heavy bag, I get my wife involved standing on one end while I pull and roll. I use a rolling pin to help. It's not very mechanical but it works.

If you are just trying to get it back into the sack it came with, there's no need. It's better for the bag to not roll it up like when purchased; and recommended that for storage between uses to use a stuff sack (basically a large mesh bag you'd typically see for hauling beach gear). When rolled tight, the filing compresses and over time will compromises the heating/cooling/air flow and should be limited to necessity (back packing, shipping, etc).

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
When I roll up my heavy bag, I get my wife involved standing on one end while I pull and roll. I use a rolling pin to help. It's not very mechanical but it works.

If you are just trying to get it back into the sack it came with, there's no need. It's better for the bag to not roll it up like when purchased; and recommended that for storage between uses to use a stuff sack (basically a large mesh bag you'd typically see for hauling beach gear). When rolled tight, the filing compresses and over time will compromises the heating/cooling/air flow and should be limited to necessity (back packing, shipping, etc).

thanks. Yeah I am trying to compress to save space to fit into my cases (got 2 of them).....

Jim

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

i use compression bags from REI for my larger single mummy and my double bag - yes, the compression bags will get the small enough to fit in cases (or backpacks, etc.) but you won't want to leave them in there for storage or long term. Plus, you want take the bags out well in advance of when you're ready to get in so they can loft back up.

I have these:

both are great.

Reactions: Jim SoG

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Never knew about not leaving compressed, so now I learn something from you guys as well, thank you!

Jim

John~SWNM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Holloway
Member #

Im a budget minded kinda guy, so I use military surplus aviators kit-bags a lot, as well as duffle-bags from Goodwill stores, yard sales or other places to pack/stuff most of my soft stuff like sleeping bags, including the huge 2-person bags my wife & I use.