Compact SUV or 2WD rally hot hatch

• HTML tutorial
U

UgotWheelz

UPDATED and typos corrected: I now have the 2021 BroncoSport it seems to be capable enough out of the box; but I can't help but think everywhere I have been in the BroncoSport I cold have easily done in a FWD or RWD car. I like the look of the fancy interior but I have no use for any of the driver aids and safety features and bells and whistles of the BroncoSport. There is almost no aftermarket support for performance or offroad equipment now.

Conversely a hot hatch the possibilities are endless. The hot hatches have monstrous aftermarket support and have been raced in just about every form of racing there is class they fit into. Cars like the Fiesta ST, VW Golf, Subaru Impreza, Ford Focus all have substantial rally history and parts are widely available to improve underbody protection, chassis stiffness, engine performance, and suspension. There is always my pristine 2001 Miata LS that just begs for an Exocet offroad conversion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Than there is my prestine all original fully loaded 2001 Mazda Miata NB 1.8L 6spd sitting in the back yard, paid for and is perfect running order with less than 23,000 miles on it. There is a tube frame Exomotive Exocet tube frame conversion for these and a 3" Paco Motorsports offroad lift kit. The Exocet has a offroad variant that runs BIG offroad tires but requires a re-gear and probably more power in the form of Turbo or supercharger kit. But when the answer is Always Miata the world of performance parts and aftermarket parts is enormous for this car.
you just answered yer question.....

Someone in Portland... or Salem sold this a few years ago.
Complete with WARN winch.
1987_porsche_924s_1562796177565ef66e7dff9f98Porsche-924S-Safari-for-Sale-A-GC.com-13.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sparksalot

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ford never promised accessories for the Bronco Sport, only the Big Bronco, or as us Bronco lovers call them the MSB (Mid Sized Bronco.

U

UgotWheelz

Ford never promised accessories for the Bronco Sport, only the Big Bronco, or as us Bronco lovers call them the MSB (Mid Sized Bronco.
Actually they did and showed them at press events, launch event that I attended and also issues a printed list of products and prices. But it's all generic rebranded outdoor gear or check out line accessories and the typical Ford accessories.

The Aftermarket is struggling to get data from ford to produce parts and so many companies have decided not to create new products for the BroncoSport.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Actually they did and showed them at press events, launch event that I attended and also issues a printed list of products and prices. But it's all generic rebranded outdoor gear or check out line accessories and the typical Ford accessories.

The Aftermarket is struggling to get data from ford to produce parts and so many companies have decided not to create new products for the BroncoSport.
Everything I have seen from Ford has shown that they never intended to release information about the Bronco Sport to the aftermarket... a I’ve been fallowing quite closely the 6th Gen Bronco since 1997 when the 5th Gen was retired (yes I know 1996 was the last year of the 5th Gen). 1997 was a year that ALL the Ford vehicles I wanted went through a drastic change or got discontinued. I was 18 and wanted a Factory New ride for a graduation present to myself...
The Bronco Sport is marketed for the “Soccer Mom” crowed. It’s not at the big wheeling events, SEMA, or any other major public events.
T.J. Where ever you are getting your information from is wrong.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I just seen all f150s, mustangs and Broncos production has been halted due to the semiconductor shortage. If your pre ordering it may be a while.

Reactions: M Rose

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I think if your goal is a on/off road rally beater, a low buck awd/fwd hatch would be a BLAST!
This is weighing it against a sort of medicore, small CUV with no after market parts or suspension, skids, armor, and other exterior stuff. Plus less bad feels if you stuff it into a ditch or whack something with it...

There might be aftermarket support that comes out down the road for the Bronco sport, but I bet there will still be more "rally" support for the cheaper cars vs the crossovers based off the same chassis...

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The Bronco Sport is marketed for the “Soccer Mom” crowed.
yep and they should have called it the Probe... or the Pinto.... or... but it sure is NOT a Bronco

a buddy has the Bronco Sport but hated how small it was,
at 4 weeks old they traded it in for the real Bronco, Ford was good enought to give them full credit for the Sport.

U

UgotWheelz

The Bronco Sport is marketed for the “Soccer Mom” crowed.
yep and they should have called it the Probe... or the Pinto.... or... but it sure is NOT a Bronco

a buddy has the Bronco Sport but hated how small it was,
at 4 weeks old they traded it in for the real Bronco, Ford was good enought to give them full credit for the Sport.
I would not call my bronco sport small it’s wider and has a larger track width than the ranger and it’s almost the same length as the 2 door big bronco. I wish I could find a dealer to give me full credit for mine. Dealer says can’t replicated the noises that it makes after the water pump failed and gas mileage went down toilet. I am looking for a Ford Fiesta ST to build a lifted overland rally rig out of. But need to sell the bronco sport while it’s value us higher than it was at new. In general I think the bronco sport does what it was intended to do but unless you have the badlands model you are restricted to how far off the beaten path you can go by lack of underbody protection and recovery points ad well ad no rear locker.