Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

My bf and I are trying to figure out a communication system for when I am travelling in my Jeep and he is on his KLR650. It needs to be hands free and voice activated at least for him. I already have a CB in my rig obviously that won't work for him on the bike. I was hoping someone here might have a suggestion or two. We are in Canada in an area where there are mountains which will restrict range but we are looking for something that would have a decent range.

Has anyone else dealt with this situation and what solutions did you find?

Thanks!

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
Try Rugged Radios for voice activated comms. They are used in race cars etc. I use them in my Defender 110 hooked up to my HAM radio. I use a push to talk button (PTT) but it can be voice activated (VOX). My set up allows me to listen to music and make call from my phone and VOX comms for four passengers. If you email or call them they can help as well.

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Try Rugged Radios for voice activated comms. They are used in race cars etc. I use them in my Defender 110 hooked up to my HAM radio. I use a push to talk button (PTT) but it can be voice activated (VOX). My set up allows me to listen to music and make call from my phone and VOX comms for four passengers. If you email or call them they can help as well.
Thank you Chris! I will definitely check them out!

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Cobra has some HTs that are rugged, and support VOX if you want to go the FRS / GMRS route.

Any decent Amateur Radio HT will likely support VOX as well. Some even support Bluetooth.

The last bit is digging up one of many options for the headset, which both styles support.

I also know a guy on here that has a PTT setup on his handlebars which seems to work well for him. You can Google kits for that option as well.

Reactions: Northernlady

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Cobra has some HTs that are rugged, and support VOX if you want to go the FRS / GMRS route.

Any decent Amateur Radio HT will likely support VOX as well. Some even support Bluetooth.

The last bit is digging up one of many options for the headset, which both styles support.

I also know a guy on here that has a PTT setup on his handlebars which seems to work well for him. You can Google kits for that option as well.
Thank you! My CB is a Cobra and I am very happy with it so we will check that out as well.