Launch Member

Contributor I

San Mateo
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Radsliff
Member #

I’m seeking recommendations for a Columbia River Gorge area 3-day overland trip in Mid-May 2019. Does anyone have a recommended trail I can run with my son? Any predictions on snow at that time (Mid-May 2019)?

Reactions: drumber

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

It's really hard to predict how much and where you're going to see snow and how late in the year. I ran to snow almost all the way into June up in the hills were the Sun never gets to but for the most part especially out in the gorge area it should be snow free.

Peter Radsliff

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Mateo
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Radsliff
Member #

It's really hard to predict how much and where you're going to see snow and how late in the year. I ran to snow almost all the way into June up in the hills were the Sun never gets to but for the most part especially out in the gorge area it should be snow free.
Thanks. Any recommendations of great routes for a few days of overland camping? I am unfamiliar with the area.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Generally you have to get away from the gorge to find to many trails , most of it is considered a scenic area plus it has train tracks on both sides of the river so if your close to the river you may hear them . I've had some fun exploring around random gravel roads mostly on the Washington side , but nothing id really consider a overlanding trip , but I've only scratched the surface of roads .

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
There is a road that runs along the bluff above the river from the west side of the Deschutes River west to The Dalles. Provides beautiful vistas of that section of the river.

Peter Radsliff

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Mateo
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Radsliff
Member #

Generally you have to get away from the gorge to find to many trails , most of it is considered a scenic area plus it has train tracks on both sides of the river so if your close to the river you may hear them . I've had some fun exploring around random gravel roads mostly on the Washington side , but nothing id really consider a overlanding trip , but I've only scratched the surface of roads .
Thanks, that gets me closer to knowing how to investigate.

Peter Radsliff

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Mateo
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Radsliff
Member #

There is a road that runs along the bluff above the river from the west side of the Deschutes River west to The Dalles. Provides beautiful vistas of that section of the river.
Thanks, I will look for it

noah.wass

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Noah
Last Name
Wass
Member #

Section 1 of the WABDR starts in the gorge and heads North. You can probably consider the fire section as being 'in' the gorge just because it's such a large area. You won't see much of the River but that area is beautiful.

You could also consider Forest service roads in the Yacolt Burn area. There's a lot to explore there and it overlooks the western parts of the gorge.