Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming

• HTML tutorial

quicksdraw92-6962

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Michigan
Member #

Hello all, my wife and I are separating from the military this fall and were looking to take a trip out west. We wanted to explore Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming but the more I look into it, all of the campsites seem like they will close due to snow/weather prior to us getting there. We are looking to be out west no later than 18 October. I'm scared that there will not be anywhere to camp once we are there, I am not worried about it being cold or snowy, just worried that all campgrounds will be closed. Does anyone have any input or experience camping in these locations in October and into November? We will be traveling from Michigan.

Reactions: LandPirate

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

I don't think that will be an across-the-board closure concern. Some in the higher elevations might close but those in Southern Utah should be open. Contact the Forest Service, National Parks and BLM in the areas you plan to visit.

quicksdraw92-6962

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Michigan
Member #

I don't think that will be an across-the-board closure concern. Some in the higher elevations might close but those in Southern Utah should be open. Contact the Forest Service, National Parks and BLM in the areas you plan to visit.
I will, thank you. I just don't want to have to set up shop in a random parking lot every night, I'd rather be in the woods somewhere or at least off the main road somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

CO_Tacoma

Rank 0

Contributor I

If you're not set on being in a campsite every night, there are tons of possibilities for dispersed camping depending on where you're going. Most of the national forests are open for year-round use.

Wired_

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

There is so much BLM land here it shouldn't really matter where or when you camp. Especially if you are in southern Utah.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Thank you both for your service. I was impressed with great sand dune national park. Ron

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@quicksdraw92-6962
We are looking to be out west no later than 18 October. I'm scared that there will not be anywhere to camp once we are there, I am not worried about it being cold or snowy, just worried that all campgrounds will be closed. Does anyone have any input or experience camping in these locations in October and into November? We will be traveling from Michigan.
You don't mention where you are looking to go. I would suggest finding places that you are interested in and contacting the local Forest Service or BLM office to determine what is open and the current restrictions.
Colorado:
I know Moraine Park CG in RMNP is open year round (though Trail Ridge Road that connects the east and west sides will be closing any day now check status by calling 970 586-1222). I think that Timber Creek CG is also open in the fall winter (but I've not camped there in fall/winter in many years).

GSDNP should be open through the end of October, After that they turn off the water and lock up the bathrooms. Not sure if you can camp there after the turn off date. Look into Pinon Flats CG

The May Queen CG at the West end of Turquoise Lake in Leadville, CO will be closed, IE no services but still open for camping if Turquoise Lake Rd is still passable. Be prepared for COLD and take it easy as the altitude will take your breath away! the other camp grounds around the lake I think are the same but I've not personally camped in them after Labor Day / before May. Lots of dispersed camping around here as well. I've camped in various turnouts on Haggerman Pass road (not sure how passable it will be come Oct/Nov)

The Flat Tops Wilderness Area in the NW corner of Colorado offers lots of dispersed camping. Beware there is a lot of hunting in this area come fall so pick up some Blaze Orange if you are here hiking.

I can confirm that most of the CGs around the Apsen area (including Silver Queen, Silver Bell, Difficult, Weller, Lincoln Creek, and Grottos CGs) will be closed with no camping permitted. Maroon Creek Campgrounds 1 and 2 MAY be open. We had to boondock on a FS road out there last fall.​

Utah:
Arches NP Normally open all winter but I've heard that they have closed the campgrounds and some of the viewpoints for construction. Call ahead when you know your dates to see what is open. Up the Creek CG in Downtown Moab is generally open for tent camping until the 3rd week in October. Great folks there.

Not sure what's happening in Canyonlands NP lately.

Check on Goblin Valley SP and Capitol Reed NP for more options in South central Utah. North part of Capitol Reef will likely be closed but great night skys if it is open!
Wyoming:
Glendo SP Lots of camping in both maintained camp sites and on the beach. Lake was very full in Aug. (Nearby Gurnsey Res. SP was drained with only a trickle in the bottom) though open fires are likely still banned. Propane only. Campsite info (307)735-4433.

Boysen SP Lots of camping and great fishing about here. Not sure what the seasons are but prepare for WIND!

Ayres Natural Bridge Park is a sweet little spot in central Wyoming has 5-6 Overland/RV camp sites and a few more tent spots. Not sure if they are open after Oct but here is the # to call 307-358-3532.​

See also:
Boort

LandPirate

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

@quicksdraw92-6962

You don't mention where you are looking to go. I would suggest finding places that you are interested in and contacting the local Forest Service or BLM office to determine what is open and the current restrictions.
Colorado:
I know Moraine Park CG in RMNP is open year round (though Trail Ridge Road that connects the east and west sides will be closing any day now check status by calling 970 586-1222). I think that Timber Creek CG is also open in the fall winter (but I've not camped there in fall/winter in many years).

GSDNP should be open through the end of October, After that they turn off the water and lock up the bathrooms. Not sure if you can camp there after the turn off date. Look into Pinon Flats CG

The May Queen CG at the West end of Turquoise Lake in Leadville, CO will be closed, IE no services but still open for camping if Turquoise Lake Rd is still passable. Be prepared for COLD and take it easy as the altitude will take your breath away! the other camp grounds around the lake I think are the same but I've not personally camped in them after Labor Day / before May. Lots of dispersed camping around here as well. I've camped in various turnouts on Haggerman Pass road (not sure how passable it will be come Oct/Nov)

The Flat Tops Wilderness Area in the NW corner of Colorado offers lots of dispersed camping. Beware there is a lot of hunting in this area come fall so pick up some Blaze Orange if you are here hiking.

I can confirm that most of the CGs around the Apsen area (including Silver Queen, Silver Bell, Difficult, Weller, Lincoln Creek, and Grottos CGs) will be closed with no camping permitted. Maroon Creek Campgrounds 1 and 2 MAY be open. We had to boondock on a FS road out there last fall.​

Utah:
Arches NP Normally open all winter but I've heard that they have closed the campgrounds and some of the viewpoints for construction. Call ahead when you know your dates to see what is open. Up the Creek CG in Downtown Moab is generally open for tent camping until the 3rd week in October. Great folks there.

Check on Goblin Valley SP and Capitol Reed NP for more options in South central Utah. North part of Capitol Reef will likely be closed but great night skys if it is open!
Wyoming:
Glendo SP Lots of camping in both maintained camp sites and on the beach. Lake was very full in Aug. (Nearby Gurnsey Res. SP was drained with only a trickle in the bottom) though open fires are likely still banned. Propane only. Campsite info (307)735-4433.

Boysen SP Lots of camping and great fishing about here. Not sure what the seasons are but prepare for WIND!

Ayres Natural Bridge Park is a sweet little spot in central Wyoming has 5-6 Overland/RV camp sites and a few more tent spots. Not sure if they are open after Oct but here is the # to call 307-358-3532.​

See also:
Boort
Thank you so much for your reply, I know that took quite some time. I will be out there around this same time so I'm following the thread too. Cheers.

quicksdraw92-6962

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Michigan
Member #

@quicksdraw92-6962

Colorado:

Utah:

Wyoming:

See also:
Boort
Thank you for all of the information. I wanted to do Breckinridge, Redstone, and Ouray/Silverton in Colorado. Still undecided on where we wanted to go in Utah... Arches or Moab probably. In Wyoming I wanted to do Yellowstone and Grand Tetons/Jackson Hole. You have a lot of good advice, I'm sure we will have to play things as we go but we should be alright. I just need to do more research myself!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@quicksdraw92-6962

I've not camped much in the Ouray/Silverton, or Redstone areas. You will want to check in to see what is open around Silverton as there was s big fire between Durango and Silverton this year.
It's been a few years since I've camped around Brek but some good places to boondock are:
Turn East from Hwy 9 at the golf course, proceed down Tiger Rd. There are a couple of options:
  • 39.516339, -105.937603 - Parking area near the Colorado Trail
  • 39.495306, -105.943805 - Small pulloff overlooking the middle fork of Swan River.
  • 39.494773, -105.948304 - Big pull out just past the S. fork rd turn off tends to see a lot of action on weekends in the summer but likely empty in Oct.
Boreas Pass
  • 39.443656, -105.996973 - Pulloff near the old Railway water tank
  • 39.435080, -105.991104 - pullout near an eastern switchback on Boreas pass
If you'd like to treat yourselves to a GREAT dinner Go to the Hearthstone Restaurant at 130 South Ridge St in town. In October they often run Local's deals so grab the free paper and see if they are doing any BOGO or charity diners' cards while you're there.

Arches NP and Canyonlands NP are both just outside of the town of Moab so you're not really choosing between them. Search the forums I'm sure that others have posted more Moab area overland trips.

In Grand Tetons be sure to take the River Road. There is a write up on it by @Steve here https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/river-road-in-grand-teton-national-park.2998/
See also this thread for more ideas: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/grand-tetons-jackson-hole.8887/#post-140830

Boort

Reactions: Ditcherman