Colorado trip July 2019

• HTML tutorial

Halston Hunt

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Crestwood, KY, USA
Member #

Hey guys trying to finish my second week planning. I'm going to be in the Telluride, Ouray, Silverton area. We have two rigs and looking for some good camp locations. Any help would be awesome and appreciated. Feel free to PM me vs putting it out on the internet. Thanks from project_upland_overland

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

When I was down there last summer my friend and camped in 2 lacations. First one was right off the tail end of Engineer pass about 2 miles from Lake city, the second spot we found was as we were coming over Corkscrew pass towards the end of the trail on the highway 550 side there is a fork in the trail. Left goes past a mine the right side goes goes a back way between trees and meets back up with the trail dunping down in a staging area that has a small camping area to the right of it. If you go rightbat that fork you will find a small secluded camp site the would fit about 3 rigs maybe 4. We stayed there 2 nights. (Note; at the fork in the road there seemed to be a rather large area that could be used at a camp site for a large group, but it seemed that water drainage could be an issue if it rained hard enough). The site was about a 20 minute drive from Ouray which was perfect.
Corksrcew gulch Big site- 37.9235392, -107.6753400
Corkscrew gulch Small site - 37.9240909, -107.6749085
Engineer pass Small site- 38.0208869, -107.3860145 (this might not be exact but it is near these cordinates)

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I am heading out to do the COBDR via the TAT last wk of June Not sure when your leaving but just a heads up the Telluride, Ouray area has had a crazy snow season and some passes won't be open till late July early August apparently link to pass opening and closings San Juan National Forest - Home

Reactions: Halston Hunt

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
You'll absolutely love this area. There is tons to see and do and the only limitations would be time. I really haven't done much overland camping in this area as we are usually there with a group and tend to stay at campgrounds. If you are looking for that type of accommodations, I would recommend the Amphitheater campground outside of Ouray. It is very cool and located up on the hillside overlooking the town. Hopefully the snow will be cleared by then as we have had an atypical winter. Have a great trip,

Reactions: Halston Hunt