Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Hout
Member #

Heading to Colorado aug 1 for 10 days looking to do the alpine loop. Plan is to take 2 to 3 days camping and exploring it. Looking for suggestions of trails, day hikes , sights to see , places to eat near Breckenridge or back toward the east side of Colorado for the final couple days before the haul back to NC. Thanks for the input and help.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hi Jeremy,

That's quite the road trip you've got planned!

You're probably aware, but just in case you aren't.....Colorado had a big snow winter. Most of the high mountain trails are late opening this year. Some may not open at all. Let us know if you need sources for such info.

Having said that, the following is based upon the assumption that all trails are open.

For me, the Alpine Loop, while amazing, is a popular route marketed to the tourists. Most folks will travel it in a day or less. In my opinion, Engineer is the better of the two trails that make up the loop. If I was going to spend 2-3 days there I might consider making a loop out of Engineer and Stony Pass (instead of Cinnamon). I see the latter as much more of an overlanding route. You've probably never heard of it because it isn't promoted because of it's length and location compared to the nearby towns. https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/467-stony-pass Be aware that the Pole Creek crossing can be quite deep after rains or during peak snow melt season. As for the latter, try to cross it early in the day so the levels will be the lowest. There was recently loss of life after a couple crossed it in the morning successfully, but then found it too deep on the return. The levels should be much lower by August.

I also recommend you spend one of your days running Imogene Pass perhaps making a loop out of it with Ophir Pass. Consider also California Pass, Hurricane Pass, and Corkscrew Pass which makes a good connector between the highways.

I know it's probably more than you're looking for, but consider joining us for the following: Rocks N Rockies. We'll start in Moab and end up in Ouray.

I'll leave you to chew on that a bit. Let us know what else you need.

Jeremy Hout

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Hout
Member #

Thanks for the info those trials look awesome. The rocks n Rockies also looks ver interesting just not wanting to go to Moab yet. Will be moving to San Diego this fall , so will be much closer. Also looking for any suggestions on nice camping spots off any of the trials. Thanks again for your suggestions

Reactions: Neal A. Tew