Cle Elum to Leavenworth routes

• HTML tutorial

Eustonpete

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Des Moines, WA, USA
Member #

My wife and I are going on a weekend trip through the Cascades and are looking for good routes on forest service roads. Does anyone have any relatively easy routes that they would be willing to share in a GPS file that we could load up to Gaia would Specifically between Cle Elum and Leavenworth.

We will be in a full size rig so we would be looking for something not to extreme, mostly interested in a good scenic route off the beaten path. We plan to camp somewhere along the way as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ubiety

sagebrusher_seth

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Romeo
Member #

My wife and I are going on a weekend trip through the Cascades and are looking for good routes on forest service roads. Does anyone have any relatively easy routes that they would be willing to share in a GPS file that we could load up to Gaia would Specifically between Cle Elum and Leavenworth.

We will be in a full size rig so we would be looking for something not to extreme, mostly interested in a good scenic route off the beaten path. We plan to camp somewhere along the way as well.
Morning! I've actually been out that way very recently. There was still a bit of snow on some of the roads north of Cle Elum lake but only in the higher elevations/ dark sides of the passes.

If you want to leave me your email I can link to my Gaia route for Gallagher Head lake. I haven't been able to make it up yet (snow) but I have a feeling it'll be melted off by now.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

Attached a GPX file (from Gaia) that has a route from Sammamish to Wenatchee via the Ellensburgh and the WABDR that I am wanting to do real soon now. Never done this route so I cannot speak to difficulty - my goal is to get to Wenatchee the fun way. There is a second track in there that continues from Wenatchee and will get you a little closer to Leavenworth.

BDR data from Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR) Map & Information

Side note - I had only ever done Leavenworth in the winter until a few years back when we went in the summer. Awesome in the summer! If you golf make sure to hit the local course; by the river with some stunning views.

GPX viewer

Attachments

Reactions: MattF and MPLUTO

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Morning! I've actually been out that way very recently. There was still a bit of snow on some of the roads north of Cle Elum lake but only in the higher elevations/ dark sides of the passes.

If you want to leave me your email I can link to my Gaia route for Gallagher Head lake. I haven't been able to make it up yet (snow) but I have a feeling it'll be melted off by now.
Sent you my email address - would love to see your GPX for Gallagher Head lake!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Some good links, interspersed in the comments, to sites that have WA routes:

Eustonpete

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Des Moines, WA, USA
Member #

Thanks Seth, my wife and I had a great time and found some really cool camping spots! IMG_20190608_200848_1.jpegIMG_20190608_150226.jpegIMG_20190526_202613.jpegIMG_20190525_194538.jpegPANO_20190526_171839.vr.jpeg

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Man, this kinda makes me sorta miss WA. I grew up near Monroe, and would usually go to weenatchee at least a couple times per year. My dad was born in Leavenworth.

wordofbabb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Snohomish, WA, USA
Member #

Those are some pretty cool shots. My wife and I tried section 3 of the WABDR on memorial day and ended up having too much snow to get through from the Cashmere/Leavenworth side. Not sure when it will all melt off so we can try again. Has anyone done any of the sections successfully for the WABDR yet in 2019?