choosing the right winch ?

• HTML tutorial

David S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
Member #

Hey all, looking to get some info, when choosing a winch for my 01 gmc yukon xl 7,200 GWR
I've heard you get one rated double the weight ? any recommendations or a resource I should be looking into?

thanks in advance

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
In my opinion a Warn M12000 would be about right for that rig.

I know it is not twice the weight, and yes they do make an M14000, but I think the M12000 would be adequate.

Reactions: smritte and David S

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
n my opinion a Warn M12000 would be about right for that rig.

I know it is not twice the weight, and yes they do make an M14000, but I think the M12000 would be adequate.
X3
The only issue your going to have is deep sticky mud. If that's the case, you will be using other things with the winch.

Sfcruiserlife

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I’ve always been a warn fan and all my rigs have ran them until I bought my current rig with a Harbor Freight winch with Dyneema sk75 eBay rope about 2.5 years ago.

At first I was really hesitant on using it to pull people on a waterfall obstacle because of the band of winch and the type of rope I had, this just tells you how I use my winch. I also tried to pull a FZJ80 out of a ditch in 5 feet of snow, yes it stalled and I ended up using bubba rope, but still this Harbor Freight winch pulled the Fzj80 with a bead popped about 20 feet before it stalled, still works till this day. By looking at it I have to say it’s has to be over 12 years old. I’m pretty impressed with it and it’s going to stay on my rig till I eventually run it to the ground.

So Yes Warn is the way to go, but don’t overlook the “Budget” winch because it keeps proving me wrong.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I’ve always been a warn fan and all my rigs have ran them until I bought my current rig with a Harbor Freight winch with Dyneema sk75 eBay rope about 2.5 years ago.

At first I was really hesitant on using it to pull people on a waterfall obstacle because of the band of winch and the type of rope I had, this just tells you how I use my winch. I also tried to pull a FZJ80 out of a ditch in 5 feet of snow, yes it stalled and I ended up using bubba rope, but still this Harbor Freight winch pulled the Fzj80 with a bead popped about 20 feet before it stalled, still works till this day. By looking at it I have to say it’s has to be over 12 years old. I’m pretty impressed with it and it’s going to stay on my rig till I eventually run it to the ground.

So Yes Warn is the way to go, but don’t overlook the “Budget” winch because it keeps proving me wrong.
Winch construction, especially CHINESE, have improved drastically. This is because many brands were moved there for cost considerations. As such the trickle down QC , allowed them to become viable as a consideration.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Winch construction, especially CHINESE, have improved drastically. This is because many brands were moved there for cost considerations. As such the trickle down QC , allowed them to become viable as a consideration.
I've been really impressed with some of the cheaper brands. With most of them, all you need is to do, is tear them down and seal them better. With all the winching work I've done or seen, I would buy a bit higher than normal on the lower brands. They seem to be a bit over rated on their power specs.
One of the biggest reason's for winch failure is lack of use. Corrosion on the motor armature and brushes. This wont be as much of an issue on the better sealed ones.