Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The Sierra Foothills Overlanders participated in a chain saw class (S-212) put on by the El Dorado National Forest Hot shots. We are required to take this class so we can use chain saws on our adopted trail.

IMG_8746.JPG IMG_8766.JPG

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

That is so cool! For most folks, I think, its just, "go buy a saw from Home Depot or Local hardware store and read the instructions..." That isn't really enough!

One of my dear friends had the great misfortune to have a saw kick-back on him when the tip caught in a bind and he had his forearm sliced in half. He did have the good fortune to be near one of the nations top shelf "trauma" ER centers so had it reconnected and has much of his hand/finger function back after years of therapy.

That was, for me, 20 years ago... I've never forgotten the day I heard the news. He was merely clearing tree limbs that had fallen on his property a few days after an ice storm. And he was/is such a competent, strong, mechanically oriented guy... but - "spit happens" when you least expect it.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

The Sierra Foothills Overlanders participated in a chain saw class (S-212) put on by the El Dorado National Forest Hot shots. We are required to take this class so we can use chain saws on our adopted trail.
I agree, @Kent R , this is very cool, especially since it is put on by National Forest Hot Shots. Nothing quite like going to the guys who practice what they preach more than most. I'm envious, man, and will be looking for something like that as I wander.

Yeah, as @Eric Neal mentions, accidents are much more likely to happen when not trained properly. I have a good friend whose younger brother was cutting down trees and was killed when a tree wasn't dealt with quite properly. Dead, gone, and could have been prevented.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

View attachment 48029 View attachment 48030
Very nice. Do you assist with clearing your adopted trail or are you allowed to go without the Hotshots?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Very nice. Do you assist with clearing your adopted trail or are you allowed to go without the Hotshots?
We are responsible for the trail the FS does not help with the clean up but will take away garbage.
The hotshots gave our people the class so we would be covered by the FS if there is an incident during a clean up.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding