Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have had a CB on my rig for some time without much for issues. Recently I noticed that one of the PL259 male ends has begun to crack around the retaining nut. I have begun to look for a better option, not only with quality, but also with routing. I have just ran the cable from the CB in/on the dash in the door jam without issue to the antenna on the front end, but I would like to clean it up and run it through a small access point on/near the firewall, but all cable ends are too large. Is their a 10ft/3m cable option out there that would allow an easier routing using a FME connection so I don't have to custom-make and solder a cable in? My search results have only generated an 18ft option, but nothing shorter. I apologize if my lingo is off. I have a working knowledge of all of this. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
This one looks like a nice set. I don't have it, but if I were to replace mine, I would probably go this route.

This one looks like a nice set. I don't have it, but if I were to replace mine, I would probably go this route.

I can't really tell from the Amazon page, but can I unscrew one of the ends to feed through the firewall? I don't have a lot of space to feed a cable through.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I can't really tell from the Amazon page, but can I unscrew one of the ends to feed through the firewall? I don't have a lot of space to feed a cable through.
I've never seen these coax cables that unscrew at the ends. I would think that that would defeat the purpose of a solid connection unless you make them or modify it yourself?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

You can buy coaxial cable and ends, youll have to crimp and solder the center pins yourself. Ive only heard 17ft of coax as standard length for cb, im sure you can go shorter but i imagine youll need quite a bit of swr tuning or a longer antenna.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Check out USACoax.com Custom Coaxial Cables
You can choose the coax type, length, connectors, even custom heatshrink.
You would need to order a FME to PL259 adapter but that's easy too. I would put the FME on the inside of the vehicle to help minimize water intrusion into the connector/coax.

Reactions: KonzaLander

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Wilson antenna makes a prefabed coax that has a removable end, you can find them at a Pilot travel center, I used one on my semi truck. Here is a photo one the one I have on amazon.View attachment 124553
I had this one on the list to consider. My biggest issue is the length since I am currently running a 15ft cable with some slack, and I'd hate to create any sort of issue by coiling the extra cable somewhere. Is that concern accurate?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I had this one on the list to consider. My biggest issue is the length since I am currently running a 15ft cable with some slack, and I'd hate to create any sort of issue by coiling the extra cable somewhere. Is that concern accurate?
I am guessing that you want the cable to be as close / short as possible to the CB so there were be less radio interference or loss of transmit performance? I'm sure there is a technical term for this.

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

According to the CB Shop guys, you need 18ft for the best configuration. I would recommend talking to a few Truck Drivers and finding a good CB shop to help set everything up, the can peak and time the radio for better output and reception, and set the SWR and the antenna.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The biggest issue with coiling the coax is if you coil it too tight and break the insulation.
Some will say that coiling your coax will choke your signal however that isn't necessarily true as hams use coiled coax to choke off stray RF on the outside shield but it does not effect the outgoing signal since it is shielded.
Here are two examples... I have used both.
1572380691238.png
1572380768130.png

Reactions: RoarinRow

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

According to the CB Shop guys, you need 18ft for the best configuration.
Old wive's tale... if the antenna has a proper ground plane the coax length does not matter except for NGP (no ground plane) or phased dual antennas.
If coax length was dependent on the frequency you were using I would have to carry about 100' of coax in various lengths to accommodate all the frequencies I operate on.
Since I have moved my radios to the back of my Jeep I need to cut down my coax too.