Cash or Card

• HTML tutorial

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

We have ran into this several times mostly in rural areas altho we have had it in town when my card had got flagged for fraud. We make sure to carry a bit of cash on us as well for those o crap my card don't work and we need fuel and food moments. We also have some cash and a couple checks stashed in the rig for Incase things go south.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

We have a travel rewards Visa and everything goes on it. It gets paid in full every month and we net at least $1K a year in travel rewards, which we usually put towards motels and hotels on various trips. I carry a couple other credit card,s just for back-up or if we encounter a very expensive issue while on the road, but i hardly use them.
We do always carry cash on our adventures, for those just in case times, but rarely have had to use it for emergency purposes.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
We have ran into this several times mostly in rural areas altho we have had it in town when my card had got flagged for fraud. We make sure to carry a bit of cash on us as well for those o crap my card don't work and we need fuel and food moments. We also have some cash and a couple checks stashed in the rig for In case things go south.
Something to keep in mind:
Does your CC have 24/7 customer service? I mention this because my VISA does not. More like bankers hours. The fraud number will help you to freeze the card, but everything else is a m-f affair. On the other hand, my DISCOVER CC has 24/7-365 access, and very importantly.....US based representatives. I have had the card frozen, when i didn't inform them of a out of town trip. Their fraud dept. was 'johnny on the spot', and called us. We used the number on the back to call them and verify they were legit and the real CC company. We also were able to fix the card while driving, and not stuck with a worthless card til Monday morning. If you travel, letting your card company know approximately where and when your trip will be, and when you think you will be home, can save you some hassle. For me, 2x trips to Canada, and into the Pacific NW, meant i had no issues.

On a side note, i once was waiting at the gate for my flight, when a elderly couple next to me was on the phone, giving out their ID info about their Debit account. And they were heading to a connecting flight overseas. That was a total CRINGE MOMENT, and I so wanted to say something. I didn't only because they should have known better, and I didn't want them to think I was snooping! To this day I think about that.

Reactions: Welding Goats

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Something to keep in mind:
Does your CC have 24/7 customer service? I mention this because my VISA does not. More like bankers hours. The fraud number will help you to freeze the card, but everything else is a m-f affair. On the other hand, my DISCOVER CC has 24/7-365 access, and very importantly.....US based representatives. I have had the card frozen, when i didn't inform them of a out of town trip. Their fraud dept. was 'johnny on the spot', and called us. We used the number on the back to call them and verify they were legit and the real CC company. We also were able to fix the card while driving, and not stuck with a worthless card til Monday morning. If you travel, letting your card company know approximately where and when your trip will be, and when you think you will be home, can save you some hassle. For me, 2x trips to Canada, and into the Pacific NW, meant i had no issues.

On a side note, i once was waiting at the gate for my flight, when a elderly couple next to me was on the phone, giving out their ID info about their Debit account. And they were heading to a connecting flight overseas. That was a total CRINGE MOMENT, and I so wanted to say something. I didn't only because they should have known better, and I didn't want them to think I was snooping! To this day I think about that.
Same here with the banking hours. Has only happened a few times but when it did man it sucks. Learned the lesson the first time with not having much cash and was almost stuck.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Your telling me you dont use travelers checks!? :sunglasses:
Stone age method. STORY TIME:

My Mom a few months back came across some from a bank.she no longer has an account with, 4 hours later she finally got her money. Teller, supervisor, bank mgr regional mgr plus a long distance phone call to HQ.

2nd story:

She came across some more, this time at her bank. A bank she had used for 20 years, and the bank mgr knew her as a personal customer. It still took 40 minutes to redeem them.

Who knows what would have happened if she had been relying on them. If you still have some in your possession, check to see if they are still viable. If banks give this much grief, stores will be worse.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So I agree that there is a need for both. However, I don't "carry" much cash. That does not mean I don't have a supply near by.
If you are in the habit of carrying a bunch of cash on your person you could become a target. When I travel I keep enough cash on my person to cover a modest shopping spree at the mini mart. But there is usually cash in the rig some where. I also carry an AE card for emergencies. No spending limit, so I could literally buy a new rig if I had to.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Many times traveling, I can find a free camp site with a little research. When I cannot, Most camp sites in the US Forest Service, and State campgrounds requires carrying cash to pay for the site. Also, boat launches. Any more, most service stations give you a discount paying with cash for fuel. So, I carry both, cash and card. Vance.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Wondering about this primarily for the continental US but it might apply to other areas. With the abundance of ATMs and places that accept cards, I very rarely carry cash anymore (other than a small, emergency bill or two).

Has anyone run into any problems during there travels in the US where they got into a bind because they couldn't use a card and, instead, needed cash?
Pacific Northwest has a hidden cash economy. We bought gas, they only took cash but there was an ATM on site. Motel rooms, CASH only. Port Townsend, 20 years ago but they had a couple of ATMs everyone took cash only. No debit cards, no credit cards.

Cash lets you hide income. Cards leave a paper trail. The USA is like a third world country when it comes to tax evasion.

You need both. Credit Cards are pretty much accepted by every chain. Debit Cards not so much. Cash is likely more secure than any other choice.

In Canada we use a pin number for purchases, pretty secure since I can pick any random number I want. Then I go to the USA and they want my zip code. Where is the security in that. Someone steals my wallet, my zip code in likely on a piece of ID..... PLUS if I don't have a zip code.....

Last edited:

LD5050

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Texas, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I’ve found a small bag of powdered gold works in all situations, as long as everyone has their scales. And, if you don’t have a zip code, then you’re obviously a terrorist :mask:
/sarcasm