Caney Fork Rd,Cullowhee NC

• HTML tutorial

Elan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reidsville NC, 27320
Member #

Tried to get everything together to make this post. I made a trip up to Cullowhee NC near the Western Carolina University campus. While I was up there I had researched a route some of the locals talked about on the LOST Jeep forum Called Caney Fork Rd. This road is a national park maintained road with several side trails branching off the main trail. The Rd starts off as a residential road with houses and such but then after a sharp right turn it turns to dirt. I used google maps to plan my route see the bottom link there is another road called Moses creek Rd/trail that comes off of Caney Fork. Moses Creek can be down as a loop or an out and back and depending on the time of year there are a couple water crossings. Both roads and side trails are clearly marked and a map can be had at the Nantahala National Forrest ranger's station.IMG_1055.jpg IMG_1056.jpg IMG_1050.jpg IMG_1057.jpg IMG_1054.jpg Talking to a park ranger during the past wild fire up there, camping is allowed but check for burn bans before making a camp fire. My trip up there was dry and dusty but the views were awesome and did get to take on a few obstacles. Also there is a little park on Caney Fork that has a rock with strange writing on it called the
Judaculla Rock it has some pretty cool stories behind it and would be worth stoping and seeing.
The town of Sylva is below the main WCU campus and has plenty of local food stops and pubs. The town is very calm and peaceful and hosts local stores and an outdoor outfitters. There is lodging in the town but the nightly rates are more costly during peak season in the winter.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Caney+Fork+Rd,+Cullowhee,+NC+28723/@35.3105161,-83.1348168,13.43z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x88591283d97e8d55:0x73f6090bfeb58726!8m2!3d35.3124837!4d-83.0842422

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Moses+Creek+Rd,+Cullowhee,+NC+28723/@35.3115439,-83.1291292,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x885913b40dd10325:0x51993795e12b7cd5!8m2!3d35.3115439!4d-83.1269352

http://www.northcarolinaghosts.com/mountains/judaculla-rock.php

Attachments

Elan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reidsville NC, 27320
Member #

Every now and then you come across a basket ball sized rock that had rolled down the hill but it's wide enough to go around or you can move it. Yeah the trails pretty easy going and there is good scenery and some prime camping.

Brandonpaul1217

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Charlotte, NC, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Paul
Member #

I Can confirm this as a good spot. Was there at the advice of some locals, and hunters as a good spot. Proper bear county. There's a great camp at the end of Caney Fork adjacent to a rock ledge and creek runs the backside. Thats where the road ends right is frome there the trail continues along the creek wit some navigable rock gardens and skinnys If you make it to the end of this up the trail there's an old bridge heading to the right I wouldn't cross without a extra recovery rigs this is the only place wide enough to turn around at that trail. Left of that up the switch back heads up another hill with some rain ruts and boulders. Thats as far as I could get as a ranger gate atop that leg stopped further travel. Planning on going there again the camp at the end of cany fork could fit 2 maybe 3 rigs. Didn't get to explore Moses creek as much. But will on the next go around. Cool spot nice and quiet pristine water. I'll be back !

Attachments

N

noah_fd9ff3

I Can confirm this as a good spot. Was there at the advice of some locals, and hunters as a good spot. Proper bear county. There's a great camp at the end of Caney Fork adjacent to a rock ledge and creek runs the backside. Thats where the road ends right is frome there the trail continues along the creek wit some navigable rock gardens and skinnys If you make it to the end of this up the trail there's an old bridge heading to the right I wouldn't cross without a extra recovery rigs this is the only place wide enough to turn around at that trail. Left of that up the switch back heads up another hill with some rain ruts and boulders. Thats as far as I could get as a ranger gate atop that leg stopped further travel. Planning on going there again the camp at the end of cany fork could fit 2 maybe 3 rigs. Didn't get to explore Moses creek as much. But will on the next go around. Cool spot nice and quiet pristine water. I'll be back !
Was this on Caney Fork or was this on something else, sorry to bring up a dead forum but I was looking at going to drive this trail. Any info you could offer for Caney Fork Road or for Moses Creek Road?