Campground ideas in Eastern Oregon for end of March?

• HTML tutorial

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
I'm planning a weekend trip with a couple of friends and our kids for March 25-27 and need a campground with an area nearby for 4x4 exploring. One friend is coming with a sedan so we the campground needs standard road access. It doesn't need to be fancy, just prefer to be out of the snow and some vault toilets would be ideal. During the day we want to get out to explore in 4x4 mode in two of the vehicles (Jeep Wrangler and Nissan Titan) and on foot.

I'm from Seattle region, one is from Portland, and the last is from Idaho Falls, ID. NE Oregon is a good mid-point for us. Any suggestions around La Grande, Baker City, or anywhere in the Northeast region of Oregon in late March?

M Rose, I see you on the OB map around La Grande. Any suggestions?

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Most areas of NE Oregon in the Blue mtns. will still be under snow at that time. I was south of John Day in late January, there was about 12"-18" then and I think they have been getting more snow since then. There is a little campground called Bull Prairie lake that might fit your needs, easily accessed in a car, vault toilets, little lake and roads to explore around it. We went up there last year when there was still snow and had a good time, didn't spend much time exploring so I don't know of any trails around but if they're open there is an OHV park close by. I put a snow level layer on Gaia and it looks clear of snow. Another area you might look into is the southern/ lower levels of the Ochoco Mountains, parts look to be free of snow as well.

Here's a couple pictures from Bull Prairie Lake Campground
BPL4.jpg
BPL1.jpg

Reactions: outside.perception

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Most areas of NE Oregon in the Blue mtns. will still be under snow at that time. I was south of John Day in late January, there was about 12"-18" then and I think they have been getting more snow since then. There is a little campground called Bull Prairie lake that might fit your needs, easily accessed in a car, vault toilets, little lake and roads to explore around it. We went up there last year when there was still snow and had a good time, didn't spend much time exploring so I don't know of any trails around but if they're open there is an OHV park close by. I put a snow level layer on Gaia and it looks clear of snow. Another area you might look into is the southern/ lower levels of the Ochoco Mountains, parts look to be free of snow as well.

Here's a couple pictures from Bull Prairie Lake Campground
View attachment 225075
View attachment 225076
Thank you! I will check that area out.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I'm planning a weekend trip with a couple of friends and our kids for March 25-27 and need a campground with an area nearby for 4x4 exploring. One friend is coming with a sedan so we the campground needs standard road access. It doesn't need to be fancy, just prefer to be out of the snow and some vault toilets would be ideal. During the day we want to get out to explore in 4x4 mode in two of the vehicles (Jeep Wrangler and Nissan Titan) and on foot.

I'm from Seattle region, one is from Portland, and the last is from Idaho Falls, ID. NE Oregon is a good mid-point for us. Any suggestions around La Grande, Baker City, or anywhere in the Northeast region of Oregon in late March?

Did you guys end up finding a spot for last weekend?

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Did you guys end up finding a spot for last weekend?
Yes, in Succor Creek State Natural park. It was fantastic. Succor Creek State Natural Area - Oregon State Parks
PXL_20220326_001856309.jpg PXL_20220326_020505684.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MeliMK