Camp lantern

• HTML tutorial

WhiskeyIsMySpiritAnimal

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale AZ
Member #

For me one of the benefits of a gas lantern was bug death. Any light is going to attract swarms of bugs at night (depending on region and altitude) but the ol' gasser always kept the swarm size manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Walleyeye

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I use the LuminAid lanterns. They are Solar powered and inflatable so they pack down to be very light and small. The kids love the small cube one(Packlite Nova). They put out plenty of light for wandering around camp at night. The larger Packlight 16 model can be clipped onto almost anything with a caribiner. They hold a charge for months crammed in a glove box when you need some extra light to change a tire or find your phone that is now lost in the abyss under your seat.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Possibly a different angle on the requirements but we used a couple of these tent fans on our last big trip. They have two different light levels and an orange night light mode plus the fan. Not exactly light weight as they contain 2xD cells and not that compact but worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

srad2

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Joshua, Texas
Member #

We used several of these LED lights on our last outing. Light was not overwhelming. Uses 3 AAA batteries that have lasted several nights so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viking1204

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I love my Coleman duel full twin mantle, I’ve had it 24 years with no maintenance other than changing mantles. I also use the GZ lantern as well as a yeti400 wth a couple light a life lamps. All are awesome and have there proper uses.

Reactions: Graeman and TerryD

NOMAD5326

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I've been using GoalZero LED lanterns for over 4 years now. Bottom line ... They are the bomb! They are lghtweight, packable ( I backpack), hand crankable (some) rechargeable USB or Sunlight (I carry a portable solar panel as well), hangable + magnetic and are bright as Fxxk. So, I'm sold on them.

Reactions: Graeman

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I carry a Coleman Nortstar in a case. The mantle has held up great on it because it mounts at the top and bottom. The lantern also has electric start. It's definitely not my favorite of the many lanterns I own, but it has yet to let me down.

If you're having to do "constant maintenance" on a Coleman, you should spend some time over at the Coleman Collectors Forum. These things are usually bulletproof unless you're burning gasoline in them.

Reactions: TerryD

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

I've been a big fan of my Black Diamond Moji and Apollo lanterns. Bright and incredible battery life. They always left me wanting a bit more output for setting up camp in the dark or cooking with a large spread.

I just picked up 3 old Coleman two-mantle lanterns. 3 is way more than I needed but they were all free. I just need to throw some new mantles in there and give em a whirl.

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

I know this is an old thread but I also have an old coleman lantern but ready for a rechargeable lantern.

I really like the warm bright light the coleman gives off , is there a camp size LED style lantern that gives off a warm glow that you recommend?

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

Reviving an old thread.
I use the Waka Waka solar light (Waka Waka means light in Swahili). It is rechargeable and it can be recharged with the sun or your wall outlet, it is about the same size as a smart phone and the charge lasts a very long time. It has 4 brightness settings. One day of sun light charge will give you 40 hours of light. Fully charged at 3,000 mAh will give you 200 hours of light. If you buy the one that has a charging port for your USB it will charge your smart phone 1.5 times. The one with out the phone charging port is around $35 the one with the charging port is about $70. I have had mine for about 5 years now and it works great and uses very little space.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I had some built up points on the credit card and on the "gift list" was a Wagan Solar Powered Classic Lantern. I got one and after testing it out I was pretty impressed with the quick charge time and run time. I like the self charging solar idea since that will ease up on power needs. Im going to get 2 more so I will have one for the RTT Annex, one for up in the tent and one for under the awning outside :smiley:
Went looking for Lantern online and discovered the company that makes it discontinued without replacing it and everywhere else it's sold out, bummer! I like to have solar lights at my hunting campsite and this would have been a good one. I realize this was 3 years ago but since then doesn't look like anything to compare to this has come along which seems odd. Guess I'll keep looking!

Last edited:

DeltaBravo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
I picked up a couple of GoalZero lights at REI during their sale. One's a tiny little thing that's USB chargeable; ones a solar/USB chargeable; and the last is the Lighthouse 400 which is USB chargeable, but also has a crank on it to charge using a 1 watt dynamo. Really good stuff (and cute, too). :innocent:

Dennis

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
For me one of the benefits of a gas lantern was bug death. Any light is going to attract swarms of bugs at night (depending on region and altitude) but the ol' gasser always kept the swarm size manageable.
Actually, I have found the LED lanterns do not draw nearly as many bugs. Life is more pleasant because no swarm comes to the LED like comes to a lantern.

I am still sticking to my white gas stoves, but I have relegated my beloved lanterns to decorative status.