GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I write a food bog for fun, and I enjoy cooking (mostly grilling and smoking) a lot. I figure camp cooking should give me plenty to write about! I'm going to assemble a portable camp kitchen out of a large wheeled SKB case I've got stashed away with the idea I can pull this thing out at a camp site and have everything I need for some wilderness cooking. But...

...I don't want to go overboard and pack too much crap that it becomes impractical. So, based on your experiences, what is a "must have" in your camp kitchen setup and what is better left at home?

So far, I have a small Coleman gas grill and a pan. :laughing:

ric8271

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Miramar, FL 33027, USA
First Name
Kenton
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Cool, looking forward to hearing more. I try to keep it simple and basic. I found Stanley and Coleman products are pretty good and reasonable priced. Some of the stuff I packed in my kit below.

Attachments

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@GLOCKer

I'll second @ric8271 recommendation on the Stanley cook kit in the first pic. Got one for Xmas a while ago and sooo much better than my old Scout backpacking kits for overlanding. Servce for 4 packs up in about the same space and 2 of my old scout kits. Store some paper towels between the plates and you have an easy to store and silent cook kit for bouncing down FS roads looking for adventure. The kit even has a bit of room left inside for a couple of collapsible cups, a travel dish soap, scrubby and mini lighter.

TIP: Bring some fresh green onions and fry up just the greens in the frying pan lid at the start of the trip and it'll be damn near non-stick for the rest of the outing.

Boort

Reactions: GLOCKer and ric8271

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I currently have a large 3 burner stove. I might get tid of it, and go back to a two burner that can fit in my drawer. My other primary stove is a single burner gas one dual fuel. I bought it a little over a year ago, and its awesome.

I have a Stanley base camp cook set, which I love. The plates are a bit small though.

I'm thinking of picking up the Stanley bowl cook set and some just some plates. I might pick up the fry pan set as well. Most of the time it's just me I'm feeding.

I am looking forward to testing out my on board water system once the Temps are above freezing though.

Reactions: GLOCKer

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Cool, looking forward to hearing more. I try to keep it simple and basic. I found Stanley and Coleman products are pretty good and reasonable priced. Some of the stuff I packed in my kit below.
I like that the Stanely stuff nests all together. Will definitely be checking that stuff out.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
@GLOCKer

I'll second @ric8271 recommendation on the Stanley cook kit in the first pic. Got one for Xmas a while ago and sooo much better than my old Scout backpacking kits for overlanding. Servce for 4 packs up in about the same space and 2 of my old scout kits. Store some paper towels between the plates and you have an easy to store and silent cook kit for bouncing down FS roads looking for adventure. The kit even has a bit of room left inside for a couple of collapsible cups, a travel dish soap, scrubby and mini lighter.

TIP: Bring some fresh green onions and fry up just the greens in the frying pan lid at the start of the trip and it'll be damn near non-stick for the rest of the outing.

Boort
That's how I seasoned my wok!

Reactions: Boort

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I currently have a large 3 burner stove. I might get tid of it, and go back to a two burner that can fit in my drawer. My other primary stove is a single burner gas one dual fuel. I bought it a little over a year ago, and its awesome.

I have a Stanley base camp cook set, which I love. The plates are a bit small though.

I'm thinking of picking up the Stanley bowl cook set and some just some plates. I might pick up the fry pan set as well. Most of the time it's just me I'm feeding.

I am looking forward to testing out my on board water system once the Temps are above freezing though.
I can see a 2 burner in my future. And at my age I may need some smaller plates. :grinning: HAHAHA

Reactions: freak4life

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
I keep a MSR kitchen knife in my kit. My pocket knife is of questionable cleanliness, so having a dedicated blade made sense to me.
My pocket knife is used for everything from sharpening pencils to scraping crap off things to cutting food. Germs are good for the body, builds the immune system. lol