Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

I'm the main cook at home, and for some reason, I find (at times) I'm not as creative at home as I am outdoors. That kind of sounds bad, I do enjoy cooking and I do the experiments and create some tasty meals. But when I'm outside, I become a different person.

Creativity outdoors is like 200% / Home 100% ;)

But let me clarify, I'm not talking about on the grill in the backyard. I'm talking about camp cooking, doesn't matter if it is over a fire or a gas stove - I don't care. I just come alive!

And I have become a huge fan of cast iron (I know not practical, weight-wise).

Am I alone here?

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

Same here, me and the wife probably each cook at home about 33% of the time and the other 33% we fend for ourselves, eat out, or eat separate due to work schedules (I rotate shifts). On the trail its a different story, I pretty much cook all of the meals on the trail. I am also a fan of cast iron and use it on the trail and at home.

Reactions: TerryD and Voodoo 1

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

Same here, me and the wife probably each cook at home about 33% of the time and the other 33% we fend for ourselves, eat out, or eat separate due to work schedules (I rotate shifts). On the trail its a different story, I pretty much cook all of the meals on the trail. I am also a fan of cast iron and use it on the trail and at home.
Nice, and glad to hear. I like gear, and more and more it's about compact and lite weight. And if I was younger, maybe I would agree 100%. Nothing wrong with it, it's just not me ;)

Thanks for the reply

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

What part of Georgia?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I don't cook much at home. My wife handles the grocery list and meal plans there and she has a system down for most of the meals she plans. I'm good enough to step in and fix what she planned for the night if need be though.

I play on the grill though. I try different things and methods. I have a Weber kettle, a small charcoal vertical smoker and one of the big OK Joe offset smokers. I'll take a wild hair occasionally on my day off and do something like ribs or burgers or kabobs. I won't know till I'm in the grocery store buying it!

In camp, its a draw though. We've both done some of the cooking and it varies in complexity. Last summer at the beach, we got some premade BBQ and warmed it on the griddle with the camp stove. We also used it to fix some mini hot ham turkey and cheese sandwiches. When I'm alone, I usually do a steak cooked in a skillet.

We prefer cast iron as well and I'll gladly take the hit on weight to have it. We're already packing for 5 people, a frying pan won't matter much.

Reactions: Voodoo 1

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I do all the cooking at home and camping. Usually the motto at home is if I cant grill it I dont cook it. For some reason it just always tastes better while camping.

Reactions: OKT4RCPL

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

I do 99% of the cooking at home (i am the chef after all) i do 100% when camping. The creativity while out camping comes down to cooking gourmet with less equipment. I love cast iron but currently dont use it at home (our new home has a glass cooktop)
We have a zodi camp shower we have only ever used for washing dishes :p

Traveler I

I also don't cook at home, but when we go for camps I love cooking food, the outdoor environment changes all things. If anyone told me to cook food at home, I never do that.

shwane

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Youngsville, La
Member #

I cook both at home and camping, when we're out on a trip I like to use local flora if possible. It gives the kids something to look for.

Sauerkraut088

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Wequetequock
First Name
Wesley
Last Name
Wollschlager
Member #

At home the fiancee and I trade off cooking duties but at camp I end up cooking. She has me cook when we camp because of the years I spent in the Boy Scouts. We love to do foil bag dinners over a nice bed of coals a cook right over the flames.

Reactions: Voodoo 1 and TerryD

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

Nothing tastes like a full bacon eggs sausage mushroom fried bread cooked on a cast iron skillet over an open fire embers. In the wild with nature all around you. Michelain xxxxx
You had me at bacon ;) but really that sounds good.

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

At home the fiancee and I trade off cooking duties but at camp I end up cooking. She has me cook when we camp because of the years I spent in the Boy Scouts. We love to do foil bag dinners over a nice bed of coals a cook right over the flames.
I am a huge fan of the foil meals. My schedule, allows me to head out any morning (early), head out for a short hike, a lake, the hills (Cascade Mtn), or wherever - since most of the time, I'm not needed at work till 2:30 or 3... So on those days, I'll prep night before or that morning, a meal in foil and when I get to my destination, a build a fire heat up my snack/meal and enjoy some time in the wilderness.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

we eat as good at camp as we do at home. Cast Iron IMO food taste better. I wrote 2 cook books on wild game cooking. Sally & I enjoy each others company while preparing meals & cooking together. Example one of our favorite meals is braised beef short ribs, Caribbean pork tenderloin sliders, BBQ pork ribs, BBQ pulled deer ham nacho's. We test all of the recipes we do prior before we camp to see how friendly it is out in dispersed areas. I do haul a small 20gal offset BBQ smoker out with us
17554330_1304082202973984_3903811274108099747_n.jpg 22228369_1470131869702349_5275954928481144345_n.jpg 18470637_1343920865656784_1315879154_n.jpg 18951476_1368850436497160_7322674948860098667_n.jpg .