Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I used to teach on survival courses. we always had a parachute shelter rigged for the students to sleep under for the first night until they had enough knowledge to build their own natural shelter

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I used to teach on survival courses. we always had a parachute shelter rigged for the students to sleep under for the first night until they had enough knowledge to build their own natural shelter
I still have to respectfully disagree, having spent some time working with these. Yes if you really know what you are doing they can be made to work. One year we took a 120 foot one and built a consegratiy structure using it, covering space for about 50 plus people in the desert in harsh, high wind conditions. Using these to cover a basic post structure or just suspending with cordage between tie down points, you will find things go wrong quickly if the wind comes up.

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

There's a material sold in most gardening shops that's a mesh comes in green. I used it to make 2 to 4 man canopy's. Just big enough to get our lawn chairs and a cooler under. I used them when I use to volunteer for the Big Horn Sheep counts in the Anza Borrego. The hot air escapes and the wind goes threw it. Rolls up nicely. Nice shade. I reckon one could make a big one. Maybe use something like that industrial velcro to put strips of it together. One could maybe change the plan to use a few small shades than one large one?

Reactions: NorthStar96