BRMB Backroad Navigator app for Canadians

• HTML tutorial

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

Hey, I was snooping around looking to replace one of my missing Backroad Map Books and on their website I found links to their phone app Backroad Navigator. From what I can tell it's $1 per month per province so I would pay $24 per year for Alberta and BC. I like their map books and the app maps should have layers for all the typical outdoor activities and waypoints. Seems like you could plan your route on a computer through their website and send it to the app. Anybody try this app or have any feedback, specifically Canadians?
I'm kind of a GPS noob but it seems like most apps are better suited to the US...

http://brmbnavigator.com

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

So I downloaded it but soon after canceled my subscription. Google maps seems to recognize more "back roads" than this app. Maybe I didn't figure out an effective way of plotting routes, I've got a month to try it out but first impressions are low...

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

Ive found the best for me is using an app that supports backroads maps as 3rd party maps you can add in. You need the digital maps on your pc to load them, but it works really well. I use viewranger (its free) and memory-map. Both apps work well. They dont plot routes but you can easily tell whay road youre on or add a track you planned at home.

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

For anyone looking for more info, I downloaded Canada Topo Maps Pro but did not like the maps, or the user interface. For the same price I downloaded Backcountry Navigator and without having tested it yet I really like it. Global map sources, not just Canada, better map options better UI and same one time price!
I've already loaded a route I plotted on Google Earth and downloaded a huge chunk of map for offline, looks like it should be a winner.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I've tried the BRMB app last year on both ios and android and it sucked bigly. I doubt they improved it. Their maps are great but the app is crap.
BRMB whole Canada map is also available as a map layer in Gaia. The premium subscription is a bit more $ than buying maps from the BRMB app but you get waaaay more maps and features.
My 2c.

Reactions: 1Louder