South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Gentlemen! Hope everyone is well! I will be headed to the Brevard area in a couple weeks. More specifically, the Davidson river area to do some fly fishing and trail riding. Y’all got any intel? Cool dispersed camping or trails to hit?
I was up there a month ago with my son. We did well fishing right at the campground as it wasn't too crowded and it was easy walking. They were biting flies better than spinners. It's been raining upthere so the water should be better. There are some dispersed sites I saw above the Hatchery on Headwaters Rd., FS rd 475B. All the sites I saw were off the road a ways and no vehicle access. Have to walk several hundred feet to tent sites but some were on the creek and near a falls that was interesting. Don't know what kind of rig you have but we ended up using hammocks instead of the RTT. Could have gotten a reservation and campsite I guess but I like ninja camping sometimes. :grinning: There's lots of hiking trails and a few good FS roads to drive off of Hwy 276 out of Brevard. :et me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: ChucktownLander40

Enthusiast I

Charleston, Berkeley County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Richmond
Member #

Gentlemen! Hope everyone is well! I will be headed to the Brevard area in a couple weeks. More specifically, the Davidson river area to do some fly fishing and trail riding. Y’all got any intel? Cool dispersed camping or trails to hit?
I was up there a month ago with my son. We did well fishing right at the campground as it wasn't too crowded and it was easy walking. They were biting flies better than spinners. It's been raining upthere so the water should be better. There are some dispersed sites I saw above the Hatchery on Headwaters Rd., FS rd 475B. All the sites I saw were off the road a ways and no vehicle access. Have to walk several hundred feet to tent sites but some were on the creek and near a falls that was interesting. Don't know what kind of rig you have but we ended up using hammocks instead of the RTT. Could have gotten a reservation and campsite I guess but I like ninja camping sometimes. :grinning: There's lots of hiking trails and a few good FS roads to drive off of Hwy 276 out of Brevard. :et me know if you have any other questions.
Right on man. Good intel. I’m running a LX470. Iv been up there backpacking a bunch, but haven’t made an effort to overland the area yet. I have stayed at Davidson River Campground that had great access to hatchery waters, but was wanting to get a little more “ninja-y.” I’ll get on the google machine some more and check out the locations you mentioned. Thanks again!

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Check in with the guys at Davidson River Fly Shop. They have always been helpful. You probably know more about the area than I do. There is some fishing on the N. Mills R. and down on the East? Fork of the F. Broad. The smaller creeks up there I don't know.

Enthusiast I

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Richmond
Member #

Check in with the guys at Davidson River Fly Shop. They have always been helpful. You probably know more about the area than I do. There is some fishing on the N. Mills R. and down on the East? Fork of the F. Broad. The smaller creeks up there I don't know.
Haven’t checked out the broad yet, or n mills. But, I have heard good things. Recently getting more I to fly fishing so looking for more adventures. Do a lot of saltwater fly fishing here in Charleston, but the rivers are a different ball game.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Been fishing the Wando some lately. Sometimes down around Edisto to Beaufort area. Looking for somebody to fish the jetties with. Somebody with experience that is. Probably done with the salt until towards Fall. If you get into fly fishing try to get out West. Those cutthroat are hungry!

Enthusiast I

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Richmond
Member #

Been fishing the Wando some lately. Sometimes down around Edisto to Beaufort area. Looking for somebody to fish the jetties with. Somebody with experience that is. Probably done with the salt until towards Fall. If you get into fly fishing try to get out West. Those cutthroat are hungry!
That’s the dream ha I would love to explore Idaho some too. My brother in law and sister live in Washington and he’s been out recently getting into some decent sized rainbows. Yup, I fish the Wando regularly as well. Folks are up in Pawleys so I fish up there and Murrells Inlet quite often as well. We should link up. You in Charleston?

Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I'm up here above Columbia but I often spend the night at the landing when I'm fishing down that way. My son is down near Murrells Inlet and go there some too. We were down in FMNF turkey hunting in the Spring. Lots of FS roads there were neat. Some good campsites too. Ever heard of Woodbury WMA up on the forks of the Pee Dee? 25,000 acres and lots of vehicle trails...and mosquitoes.

Man, I really need somebody that can throw a cast net. My shoulders are giving me problems and throwing a net is not something I can do much right now. You go catch the bait and I'll buy it! LOL

Enthusiast I

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Richmond
Member #

I'm up here above Columbia but I often spend the night at the landing when I'm fishing down that way. My son is down near Murrells Inlet and go there some too. We were down in FMNF turkey hunting in the Spring. Lots of FS roads there were neat. Some good campsites too. Ever heard of Woodbury WMA up on the forks of the Pee Dee? 25,000 acres and lots of vehicle trails...and mosquitoes.

Man, I really need somebody that can throw a cast net. My shoulders are giving me problems and throwing a net is not something I can do much right now. You go catch the bait and I'll buy it! LOL
Haha! Deal