Boulder Outdoor Products Overland Trailer/RTT Hauler

• HTML tutorial

Uboatcmdr

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hey everyone!

I've had a ton of people on social media tell me to start a build thread for this trailer so that they can follow along, so here we go

Im the owner of Boulder Outdoor Products, a Canadian line of roof top tents and overland gear. I quickly discovered that hauling a full size 14' enclosed trailer to trade shows was extremely limiting! This meant lots of $$$ on fuel, and absolutely no off-road travel on the way to/from the show

I have been wanting to build an overland style trailer for a while, so I decided this was probably a good excuse to finally make that happen. The initial goal was to build a trailer that could haul some tents inside, as well as have an RTT on top to showcase multiple tent models between the truck and trailer, all while maintaining some form of mild off-road capability. This plan quickly changed with the idea of keeping the trailer multi purpose.

The initial design that I drew up in an hour or two after driving home from BC Overland Rally -
At this point I had decided that I wanted the trailer big enough to have some misc. storage upfront, and a couple slide outs for fridge/freezer, stove, etc.

This design hasn't changed much, mainly just slight dimension tweaks to allow 4 RTT's to fit in the back, as well as some slight rearrangement of the front doors.
I've been winging it on a lot of things, assuming I will figure it out as it go haha.

Basic Specs:
80" overall height not including RTT
55" Wide frame
118" long tub
5' Tongue from tub to hitch
3' "Tongue Platform?"
Timbren 3500HD Axle-less suspension
37x12.50x17 on wheels to match my truck
Steel Frame with fender width steps/rub rails
16ga 5052 Aluminum Skin - Adhesive and Rivets (Still looking for recommendations for adhesive)

"Planned Features" (Some of these will take quite a while to get to haha)
Dometic CFX-65DZ on a slide out
2 Stage slideout for camp chef stove
Kitchen storage drawers
Fold down table above passenger side fender
Interior/exterior lighting
Go-power solar power system W/ Large pure sine Inverter (To run inverter welder and big tools)
~100+ Liter water tank between the "axles" on a 12v pump with RODI filtration system and small holding tank for drinking water - need to keep the GF happy

Propane hot water/shower system
Propex or similar heater for ducting into the RTT's on the truck and trailer
Custom rack from rear bumper for 2 Street legal dirtbikes

Anyways.... lets get to the build photos so far.

I had all the steel delivered last friday, and immediately put the bandsaw to work

This is basically how the trailer sits right now. Since the photos i have finished bracing all the walls and currently I am waiting on the suspension to show up so I can finish the side steps and get this thing painted and skinned.

Timbren suspension is supposed to be here tomorrow!

Go follow me on instagram
@BoulderOutdoorProducts

W4P

Rank III

Advocate II

Sudbury
Rock on fellow Canuck! Looking good but yes....big!!! Looking forward to Canadian made rig.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Johnnie Canuck

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

image.jpg Also, this is the product we use with aluminum when we need adhesion and a sealent. Id also recommend using 1/4" stainless steel "huck" rivets instead of aluminum. Make sure you use sealent on every rivit hole to avoid leaks. Especially if you're traveling around British Columbia!! Hope it helps!

Uboatcmdr

Rank I

Enthusiast I

View attachment 29931 Also, this is the product we use with aluminum when we need adhesion and a sealent. Id also recommend using 1/4" stainless steel "huck" rivets instead of aluminum. Make sure you use sealent on every rivit hole to avoid leaks. Especially if you're traveling around British Columbia!! Hope it helps!
I was actually leaning towards using VHB tape with a strategically placed row of rivets down each panel. Any Concerns with that?

Johnnie Canuck

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Never actually used it myself. But I know the applications it can be used for are demanding. And if u use a caulking gun like i do, then it should be alot cleaner!