Advocate I

Houston, Texas, United States
First Name
Sam
Last Name
McGlone
Member #

Hey All,

My wife and I are heading to far west Texas for a little Anniversary trip. Fingers crossed we can get a backcountry spot in BBNP. Our back up plan is a couple of nights in BBRSP (already booked).

A couple of questions:

1) What are people’s recommendations for things that are a must for a first time trip to BBRSP?
2) Any hidden gems that we might want to explore in the surrounding area.

Much appreciated,

SM

Reactions: Kozysnack

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Hey All,

My wife and I are heading to far west Texas for a little Anniversary trip. Fingers crossed we can get a backcountry spot in BBNP. Our back up plan is a couple of nights in BBRSP (already booked).

A couple of questions:

1) What are people’s recommendations for things that are a must for a first time trip to BBRSP?
2) Any hidden gems that we might want to explore in the surrounding area.

Much appreciated,

SM
The cottonwood store, starlight, all the back roads maybe no black gap. Balanced rock, window, stop at the NP bookstore and get a copy of the backroad book, it is small but could save your trip/rig/life. Go slow, enjoy. Maria, Alpine, Ft Davis. My goodness it could be a month log trip. The state park is lots of fun also. Santa Anna is a good hike.

RAMf1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley, Alameda County, California, United States
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Visit the cemetery in Terlingua… it’s been featured in numerous shows. There are derelict buildings around the cemetery that make for great photographs. Also, you gotta eat at DB’s Rustic Iron BBQ. Yeah, it’s basically a trailer in Terlingua but it is also rated as one of the best BBQs in Texas. All I can say is the food I got there was amazing.

Gringo&Gun

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Peterson
Marfa for food. Specifically Para Llevar and Convenience West for BBQ.

Alpine worth checking out.

Marathon recommend drinks at White Buffalo Bar in Gage hotel. BBQ at Brick Vault.

In Big Bend any trails you can handle, all scenic drives(Maxwell good), Santa Elena Canyon a must, and any off pavement roads if your set-up to air down for comfort.
E1ED3782-D6A3-410C-9508-9AFA65A8BB72.jpeg
339489BD-27EF-4ECD-B9EE-B34B61F0F231.jpeg
B50F85F0-7A13-4339-B530-868B4E481FE0.jpeg
00817C60-9F1A-4DA2-97C2-1A4B7A22CAA0.jpeg9DD3E353-CE76-4646-A75C-D5859FE6F741.jpeg
D22F6A61-FC48-4AB2-A620-2EEC751536BC.jpeg
889E5F09-4587-4A60-9E9B-105F31C117B3.jpeg

Greeneggssam

Rank III

Advocate I

Houston, Texas, United States
First Name
Sam
Last Name
McGlone
Member #

Visit the cemetery in Terlingua… it’s been featured in numerous shows. There are derelict buildings around the cemetery that make for great photographs. Also, you gotta eat at DB’s Rustic Iron BBQ. Yeah, it’s basically a trailer in Terlingua but it is also rated as one of the best BBQs in Texas. All I can say is the food I got there was amazing.
Thanks for the Rec! We rented house outside Terilingua for a couple nights. Will definitely track down the bbq

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

Lots of good info in this post and as said above, you could spend a month there, lol. I would just add that the basin is a different park from the desert, eco-wise. So make sure you take time to drive up there and check it out for a different experience.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Rendezvous Tribe

Rank IV

Member II

Santa Fe, TX, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Reactions: Sparksalot