First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Redding
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4LXY
Hey OB Members,

My friend and I are taking our Jeeps out to Big Bend National Park area. Looking for some recommendations on things in the area to do and trails. So far, Black Gap has stood out. We’re looking to do about a two day trip because we’re both about 1,200 miles away. A day of driving and a day of exploring. If there’s not much to explore, maybe two days of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Texassailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Austin, TX
Member #

Visit the BBNP website and look for information on the "backcountry" & "primitive roadside campsites".

We visited this past January and hit many of the backcountry roads and camped at four primitive roadside campsites.

Our favorite was Old Ore Road; much diversity in landscape and good off-trail points of interest (like Ernst Tinaja)
ernstTinaja.jpg

On Old Ore Road, I recommend either the Roy's Peak or Willow Tank campsites. We also enjoyed some campsites more in the upper elevations on Pine Canyon and Juniper Canyon roads . . . especially Twisted Shoe campsite.

You'll need to arrive early at the park to get a campsite. You must reserve the site when you arrive at the Ranger's station. And, don't be surprised if you pick a busy weekend that all primitive sites are taken.

Here is a thread on the Wrangler Forum in which I tell of our trip to BBNP.

Texassailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Austin, TX
Member #

Chisos1.jpg
Of course, I left off the recommendation that you visit the Chisos Basin up in the mountains (Emory Peak is 7825' above msl). Worth the drive up and there are many hiking trails with absolute fabulous views.
Too many people for me in the "improved" basin campsites. We prefer the primitive campsites in the backcountry where your nearest camping neighbor will be miles away.

chisos2.jpg
Oh, and don't plan to bring your drone :yum: The park rangers in the basin will be all over you. I hear that should you post aerial video of the park, they may come after you as well long after you've left the park.

Last edited:

Texassailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Austin, TX
Member #

Hey OB Members,

A day of driving and a day of exploring. If there’s not much to explore, maybe two days of driving.

The national park (800,000+ acres) is big enough for 2 weeks of driving and exploring!!! And, this doesn't even account for the state park (300,000+ acres) which is adjacent to the national park

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
Two days of this place is absolutely not enough. To drive that far and spend only two days there is cheating yourself. It is a truly amazing place. I went with a small group of offroaders for a long weekend stay and we covered enough to make it worth going but we only scratched the surface of everything there is to see. Definitely go to the Chisos Basin. I would focus on just the National Park if you are going to be there for that short period of time. Fuel is expensive in Terlingua so fill up in Alpine or Marathon depending on what route you take.

Wayward Overland

Rank III
Founder 500

Off-Road Ranger I

Tampa, FL
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Redding
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4LXY
Thank y’all so much for the recommendations. I think we’ve planned about a 7 day trip now that we’ve looked at logistics of everything job wise.