Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
Hello All! I'm picking up my new Turtleback trailer the first week of June. I'll take a few days to outfit the trailer and then I plan on making my way down to south Texas to the Big Bend National Park and spending a few days there before it gets too hot. Anyone interested in a meetup sometime between 17 - 30 June, 2019, let me know. Of course, cervezas and tacos in Boquillas, MX while we're down there so bring your passport. Look it up if you've never heard of it... it's a fun little adventure! I'll be traveling from the Phoenix, AZ area.

Reactions: Ross Hoffman

Ross Hoffman

Rank 0

Contributor II

@OkieMizzou Are you concerned if it will be too hot in Big Bend at that time? I've on been there in November for a day trip. I'm wanting to go soon as well and I'm already concerned it'll be too hot, at least hot enough to be unpleasant in the afternoons.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
... before it gets too hot... I'll be traveling from the Phoenix, AZ area.
For just about anyone else, it would be too hot then... Coming from Phoenix, it should provide a little bit,of relief.

Your time frame is leading up to a busy period for me in my “side hussle” but I’d be interested in a possible meetup. I might not be able to make it all the way down to Big Bend, but could certainly meet in Alpine.

Keep me posted.

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
For just about anyone else, it would be too hot then... Coming from Phoenix, it should provide a little bit,of relief.

Your time frame is leading up to a busy period for me in my “side hussle” but I’d be interested in a possible meetup. I might not be able to make it all the way down to Big Bend, but could certainly meet in Alpine.

Keep me posted.
Where would you be coming from?

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
It is already in the 100's in Big Bend. I suggest you camp in Chisnos Basin campground. It will be cooler up there. Then you cam make day trips from there.

Here is a link to a two part series I wrote for Toyota Trails magazine on a Big bend trip we did.

WordPress.com

Reactions: John~SWNM and Laud

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Good luck and have fun. We plan to go eventually. It's our closest National Park, but still 7+ hours away.

MTN_SEEKER

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lincoln, NE, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

It is already in the 100's in Big Bend. I suggest you camp in Chisnos Basin campground. It will be cooler up there. Then you cam make day trips from there.

Here is a link to a two part series I wrote for Toyota Trails magazine on a Big bend trip we did.

WordPress.com
Michael, you mentioned in the article that there is no dispersed camping. Is that still true now? Crazy that it's 800k acres and so few camping spots. Everything has been booked for months for the dates we are looking at in January. You mentioned Stillwell so I'm going to try them tomorrow.

Anyone know how cold the nights will get in January? We've been fine down to 25 degrees in the past.

@OkieMizzou did you end up making the trip and what was the highlight?

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
No, I didn't make it. A last minute opportunity to go camping with my son popped up so I changed plans and went to California to spend time with him. After camping in Big Bear I took time and made my way from Barstow to Needles on the Mojave Road. Had a great trip.

IMG_5059.jpg

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Michael, you mentioned in the article that there is no dispersed camping. Is that still true now? Crazy that it's 800k acres and so few camping spots. Everything has been booked for months for the dates we are looking at in January. You mentioned Stillwell so I'm going to try them tomorrow.

Anyone know how cold the nights will get in January? We've been fine down to 25 degrees in the past.

@OkieMizzou did you end up making the trip and what was the highlight?
There is backcountry camping by permit but you cannot camp anywhere you want. A simple Internet search revealed the following:

MTN_SEEKER

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lincoln, NE, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

No, I didn't make it. A last minute opportunity to go camping with my son popped up so I changed plans and went to California to spend time with him. After camping in Big Bear I took time and made my way from Barstow to Needles on the Mojave Road. Had a great trip.
That looks a great time. I can't wait to tackle the Mojave Rd.