Best way to mount a solar panel to freedom tops?

• HTML tutorial

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I want to mount a panel to my jeeps freedom tops, probably not permanently, something that will not be blown off, but something that can be removed when not camping.
Any ideas?
100 watt panel seems the appropriate size.1000019408.jpg
When I go camping, I use 2 large Plano cases so mounting to the rack won't work.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I would guess your best removable option would be those crossbars that clip to the gutter. Then you can permanently run your wiring on the main rack and keep a 2ft pigtail or so that way you can unplug the panel and fold that wiring back and just ziptie/velcro strap it from whipping around in the wind.

Depending on your power needs you could opt for the foldable panels that you just put on the ground somewhere while camping. That leaves you the option of parking in the shade, just something to think about.

Reactions: Outdoordog

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I would guess your best removable option would be those crossbars that clip to the gutter. Then you can permanently run your wiring on the main rack and keep a 2ft pigtail or so that way you can unplug the panel and fold that wiring back and just ziptie/velcro strap it from whipping around in the wind.

Depending on your power needs you could opt for the foldable panels that you just put on the ground somewhere while camping. That leaves you the option of parking in the shade, just something to think about.
The cross bar is a good idea.

I wanted the solar on the freedom top so I could be always charging when the sun is out.
I have a folding solar panel too, I could maybe plug both in. I'm guessing I'd need both panels to be about the same wattage.

Steph_ Adventures

Rank IX

Influencer I

Quebec, Canada
First Name
Steph
Last Name
Adventures
like Ethan said you can go with cross bars with panel mounted to them or there is a few option like = JT vss system 30 watt hood panel ( diff option but with your hood its that ) or now they make flexible solar panel you can pick the size that fit then panel and 3m them

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
I've been running 2 flexible 50 watt panels mounted to the removable fwd roof sections. Used 3M two sided foam tape to install...going on 3 yrs now without incident. A simple plug and play setup which allows for additional "loose" panels or the removal of the actual roof sections. The 2 x 100 watt panels stowed inside, above the roll bars when not in use.

The additional 2 x 100 watt panels are stowed inside,Screenshot_20240327-083837_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240327-084311_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240327-084034_Gallery.jpg

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I wanted something that's always charging. I have a folding 220 watt panel, but I tend to offroad during the day, and don't want to leave my battery and panel at my camp.

I installed a 100w panel a few days ago, only my roofrack. Sacrificed some space, but it is working great!
Waiting on an ecoflow river 2 max in the mail, but have my delta 2 hooked up, and in the past few days, it's kept my delta 2 full. I don't think I'll need to bring the 220 watt panel anymore.

1000024137.jpg

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I've been running 2 flexible 50 watt panels mounted to the removable fwd roof sections. Used 3M two sided foam tape to install...going on 3 yrs now without incident. A simple plug and play setup which allows for additional "loose" panels or the removal of the actual roof sections. The 2 x 100 watt panels stowed inside, above the roll bars when not in use.

The additional 2 x 100 watt panels are stowed inside,View attachment 276161View attachment 276162View attachment 276163
That's a neat setup! I normally bring my 220 watt folding panel, but mounted a 100w on my roofrack, it works great!
You can barely tell its even on the roofrack, and makes zero noise on the highway.
1000024152.jpg
1000024151.jpg

Reactions: Blu12T

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

1000024316.jpg
1000024315.jpg

Fridge/freezer draws 50w at most, solar panel charges up to 80w. So far this week, with rain and cloudy days, the battery will be at 100% by 1 pm.

I'm really liking this setup.

Renogy 100w
Alpicool 35qt
Ecoflow river 2 max

Reactions: Sea Diamond

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
I see more AlpiCool fridges these days...I have the same but 30L. It's been good so far.. 2 x 5 month and 1 x 2 month full time tours.

Our 300 watts worth of panels just squeak us by during cloudy/rainy periods...and that's with modest electrical requirements other than our fridge.

Our 2 x 50w panels are good while traveling but more often than not they're shaded from our RTT or trees while camped. Where as the 2 x 100w panels are on a 30ft. extension and can be placed in the sun.

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
Got pictures of your setup?
hey Outdoor Dog...Can't you see the photos I sent with my original post above?

Passing onScreenshot_20240409-201840_Gallery.jpg a photo of my homemade battery box...includes a 100ah Lithium battery and mttp charge controller.

Also...because my panels are not symmetrical I need to wire in combination (parallel and series) to achieve maximum efficiency.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

hey Outdoor Dog...Can't you see the photos I sent with my original post above?

Passing onView attachment 276984 a photo of my homemade battery box...includes a 100ah Lithium battery and mttp charge controller.

Also...because my panels are not symmetrical I need to wire in combination (parallel and series) to achieve maximum efficiency.
Wow that's a really cool setup.
No, I didn't see any images other than your last post.

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
Wow that's a really cool setup.
No, I didn't see any images other than your last post.
Hey thanks
The setup has worked quite well. Nice to have the option to haul the battery box and fridge outside and just run off of the 2 x 100w panels...ensuring they're in the sunshine as much as possible.Screenshot_20230920-112720_Gallery.jpg