Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Missouri
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
knight
Member #

Anyone know of any great overland outfitters stores? We are wanting to get our hands on some tents and racks and such and have nothing in our area that has displays of this stuff. Specifically would like to see what a roof top tent for 4-5 people actually looks like and the space it has, how it might mount to our vehicle to know if it’s an option. Getting desperate to find something and I’m willing to drive quite a distance as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Not an option. 4-5 people in an RTT would be miserable. Consider an RTT and a few ground tents. I haven't even heard of a rack that can hold that much weight.

Bundutec has great RTT's.
Mountain Hardware has good tents.

I sold my RTT, I'm back to ground tents.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I think they make them, but as Jason said, I can't imagine that it would be comfortable, and how much effort would go into putting it up and down. Is a trailer with an RTT an option? Could put a couple people in the trailer, and the rest in the RTT, or do like Jason said and get a smaller RTT and a couple ground tents, or just a big ground tent. I have an 8 person, and slept 4 in it, and we had plenty of room.

Natenite

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Missouri
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
knight
Member #

I think they make them, but as Jason said, I can't imagine that it would be comfortable, and how much effort would go into putting it up and down. Is a trailer with an RTT an option? Could put a couple people in the trailer, and the rest in the RTT, or do like Jason said and get a smaller RTT and a couple ground tents, or just a big ground tent. I have an 8 person, and slept 4 in it, and we had plenty of room.

We have a big ground tent so that’s what we will do in the mean time. I have seen 4-5 person RTT, tepui and smitty(?) both make some. If it’s an option I really want to see one in person. It may be horrible but I want to see for myself. As for a trailer, if I can avoid it I really do not want to tow something around. I would rather spend the $ and get an AT Habitat than tow something.

Surely there are places with tents set up. How else do they sell them? Maybe not in the central part of the country but somewhere? We are gonna try and make it to Chattanooga to see the cvt showroom someone mentioned above as well.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

What if you go to Tepui or CVTs site and see if they have authorized retailers around your area? I think REI started selling RTTs, but could be mistaken.

Paris0514

Local Expert Kansas City MO
Founder 500

World Traveler III

Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP
Adventure Motors in Lee’s Summit, MO.

Paris0514

Local Expert Kansas City MO
Founder 500

World Traveler III

Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP
We have a big ground tent so that’s what we will do in the mean time. I have seen 4-5 person RTT, tepui and smitty(?) both make some. If it’s an option I really want to see one in person. It may be horrible but I want to see for myself. As for a trailer, if I can avoid it I really do not want to tow something around. I would rather spend the $ and get an AT Habitat than tow something.

Surely there are places with tents set up. How else do they sell them? Maybe not in the central part of the country but somewhere? We are gonna try and make it to Chattanooga to see the cvt showroom someone mentioned above as well.
I have a Habitat and we have no problems with our family of 5. Check out my review of the Habitat here : AT Overland Habitat

RPilk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

West Plains, MO, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Pilkington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRCV721
Ozark Overland Outfitters in West Plains....my go to gear supplier, full service shop as well...
Artemis in Springfield..... great guys with a good selection.