Best 12V Electrical Connectors for Overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I just finished up a two week trip where I was having issues with my solar setup and the standard MC-4 connectors in particular. I have two panels mounted on top of separate aluminum boxes which in turn are secured to my rooftop rack. After each trip or if I happen to stay in a hotel in an urban environment during a trip I will remove the boxes from the top of the vehicle and thus I need to have a connector that I can unplug as needed but also as it is in the elements during my trips be durable and reliable too. I have found the MC-4 to be neither. They are a pain to disconnect and after a few uses I find they start to not have reliable electrical connectivity and/or significant losses in wattage

Has anyone found a better solution than the MC-4? Anderson connectors or something else? In addition to a standard wiring connector I would also like to know if there are any connector solutions that may be built into a grommet base or surface mount box. If something like that exists an option for me would be to mount one of those on my roof and then plug my panels directly into that as opposed to loose cables.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I just finished up a two week trip where I was having issues with my solar setup and the standard MC-4 connectors in particular. I have two panels mounted on top of separate aluminum boxes which in turn are secured to my rooftop rack. After each trip or if I happen to stay in a hotel in an urban environment during a trip I will remove the boxes from the top of the vehicle and thus I need to have a connector that I can unplug as needed but also as it is in the elements during my trips be durable and reliable too. I have found the MC-4 to be neither. They are a pain to disconnect and after a few uses I find they start to not have reliable electrical connectivity and/or significant losses in wattage

Has anyone found a better solution than the MC-4? Anderson connectors or something else? In addition to a standard wiring connector I would also like to know if there are any connector solutions that may be built into a grommet base or surface mount box. If something like that exists an option for me would be to mount one of those on my roof and then plug my panels directly into that as opposed to loose cables.
Search “Waterproof Surface Mount Anderson Power Pole” on Google, it will give a lot of good ideas… for what you describe, Anderson Connectors are about the best there is.