Launch Member

Contributor III

Boise, ID
First Name
Jed
Last Name
Clawson
Member #

Hey people, girlfriend and I are planning a little trip from Boise to Bend mid Aug. We are wanting to kayak some lakes and explore some backcountry roads. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Our vehicle is a very capable 2019 Rav4, so no rock crawling for us.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey people, girlfriend and I are planning a little trip from Boise to Bend mid Aug. We are wanting to kayak some lakes and explore some backcountry roads. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Lots of stuff to see down that way. The middle fork john day is a must to fish... the river is low enough to do some mild kayak floating without worrying about white water.

Reactions: Glacierdog

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
It's paved, but the Cascade Lakes National Scenic Byway is really nice and takes you by a number of lakes.

If you are looking for dirt there are a ton of roads in the area. If you like exploring caves there are multiple south east of Bend, just search for "ice cave" in Google Maps.

Another option is the Skylight Cave north west of Sisters. It's more remote, but interesting to check out.

Reactions: Glacierdog

Glacierdog

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Sisters, Deschutes County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK
There are so many Forestry roads to access in the area. Both East and West of town. There are several YouTube Channels devoted to overland adventures in and around the Central Oregon area. Bend is a community that is very much focused on the outdoors (check out visitbend.com) that it would be very hard to not find something to do. Also, just as a footnote. The locals are sensitive to non locals right now due to the pandemic. Be respectful and wear a mask when moving within the community.

Glacierdog

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Sisters, Deschutes County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK

Lots of stuff to see down that way. The middle fork john day is a must to fish... the river is low enough to do some mild kayak floating without worrying about white water.
This is a good resource on YouTube...

Chris