Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

As some of you may know, I will be making a cross country trip while hitting up some interesting spots such as Death Valley, Crand Canyon, Ozark National Forest etc. We are doing the bare minimal as we do not have the funds to have a full rig. I am not asking just about the vehicle preparations, but also camp gear. Here is what I have so far

Cooler
Stove
Cooking Table
Utensils
Water Bottles
Jetboil French Press
Electric Lantern

Blankets
Pillows
Tent
Air Mattress

Knives
Hatchet
Garmin GPS

For Future Purchase:
Trasharoo
Spare Tire repair Kit
Topo Map

What else should I have?

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

As some of you may know, I will be making a cross country trip while hitting up some interesting spots such as Death Valley, Crand Canyon, Ozark National Forest etc. We are doing the bare minimal as we do not have the funds to have a full rig. I am not asking just about the vehicle preparations, but also camp gear. Here is what I have so far

Cooler
Stove
Cooking Table
Utensils
Water Bottles
Jetboil French Press
Electric Lantern

Blankets
Pillows
Tent
Air Mattress

Knives
Hatchet
Garmin GPS

For Future Purchase:
Trasharoo
Spare Tire repair Kit
Topo Map

What else should I have?
You know, @Kaioken the lists @stringtwelve made are a fantastic start. I'd print those out and modify them for what you think is best. I'm newer at this as well, and they are great guides.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

A few things i think are important:
  • First Aid kit
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • Water Filter (If you get stranded and run out of water this would literally be a life-saver) I use Katydyn (I think thats how its spelled)
  • Extra food (A few Mountain House meals would do, or MRE's) Water is more important but food is up there in the list..

When i am thinking of a list of other items in case i get stranded i go in this order:
  • Water
  • Protection (Get your head outta the gutter, not condoms......I mean Firearm, Knife, etc...)
  • Shelter
  • Food

Chromedragon

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Stockton, CA
Member #

from what I have seen of the suggestions they have you covered.
My suggestions would be as follows:
1. Back up Paper map(s).
2. Rough plan or itinerary to provide to your loved ones in case you get stuck or lost in the middle of no where with out communications so they know when to worry.
3. spare flashlights or forms of light.

Reactions: WakeUpAndSmellThe80

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cooler
Stove
Cooking Table
Utensils
Water Bottles
Jetboil French Press
Electric Lantern

Blankets
Pillows
Tent
Air Mattress

Knives
Hatchet
Garmin GPS

For Future Purchase:
Trasharoo
Spare Tire repair Kit
Topo Map

What else should I have?
A High quality Cree or equal LED Flashlight or headlamp.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Headlamps are very handy, and when combined with a gallon of water (light pointed in) also make cheap lanterns.

First aid kit - and not one of those little ones from the drug store. While most of what you need will be band-aids - in the outback the risk of infection is high and any injury that would be an annoyance can become life-threatening. I would supplement your kit with lots of antiseptic, some large trauma pads, and a few Israeli bandages.

Mountain House meals and a water filter. Keep these in reserve for emergencies or if your planned resupply doesn't happen on schedule. They are also good if you end up with spoilage in your cooler.

Pack of cards and a couple books. - Stuck in the tent in the rain? This helps pass the time.

Short-handled shovel. - Good for recovery and for prepping your camp site. Level a table, scrape rocks away from your sleeping area, dig a rain trench around the tent. A serviceable shovel is cheap and goes a long way. Don't get those cheap Chinesium e-tools, they will bend in all but the softest of soils.

Roll of yard-sized garbage bags. - keep the nasty trash from soaking the Trasharoo, make a poncho, cut one open and cover a nasty Forest Service table before making dinner - the uses of trash bags are nearly endless.

Zip-top bags. - Gallon and 2 Gallon sizes are great for keeping dry gear dry, storing food, segregating smelly socks, you name it.

High-lift jack and Lift-mate: I've only needed mine once, but it was the only way to get that vehicle unstuck because it didn't have any jack points. If you can't do one of these, at least get a decent bottle-jack to replace the cheap scissor jack most cars come with. Also throw in some scrap plywood or boards as cribbing. If you are going alone, being able to self-recover is vital.

Recovery gear: Closed-loop strap and rated shackles at a minimum. With a high-lift jack you can hand-winch a vehicle, or get someone to pull you out even if they don't have a strap.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

It seems like many of the items being posted are repeated from previous posts. Everyone is listing their own personal "essentials" for the type of trails they like to do. Obviously, not everything in my rig will be right for the next guy. I also noticed that many of the things being posted are fairly common kit that doesn't take up a bunch of space. A few extra meals in case you have food spoilage far from home takes up less space than a typical shoe box and adds maybe 3-4 pounds (at the most). A water filter can be had as small as pocket-sized and adds a few ounces. Spare fluids? I have mine stashed under the hood of the car where they take up no space at all - they live there all the time.

Big stuff, like a high-lift jack is hard to avoid taking up space and adding weight, but that is where each driver has to decide of the cost of space and weight is worth the security. I keep my jack with me when I'm off the trail, but I know a lot of people don't feel the need. Honestly, in all the years I've been off roading I've needed that jack exactly one time - and it wasn't even for my vehicle.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

It seems like many of the items being posted are repeated from previous posts. Everyone is listing their own personal "essentials" for the type of trails they like to do. Obviously, not everything in my rig will be right for the next guy. I also noticed that many of the things being posted are fairly common kit that doesn't take up a bunch of space. A few extra meals in case you have food spoilage far from home takes up less space than a typical shoe box and adds maybe 3-4 pounds (at the most). A water filter can be had as small as pocket-sized and adds a few ounces. Spare fluids? I have mine stashed under the hood of the car where they take up no space at all - they live there all the time.

Big stuff, like a high-lift jack is hard to avoid taking up space and adding weight, but that is where each driver has to decide of the cost of space and weight is worth the security. I keep my jack with me when I'm off the trail, but I know a lot of people don't feel the need. Honestly, in all the years I've been off roading I've needed that jack exactly one time - and it wasn't even for my vehicle.
My suggestion could take the place of 4 or 5 other items attached on this list ;-)

Jacob_S

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

I will second the fire extinguisher and first aid kit. Make sure you have burn cream and some pain reliever in the kit. I would suggest NOT buying one of the little car extinguishers generally found at Walmart and autoparts stores. Get a 5lb or so, used and recharged on ebay is cheap insurance if your vehicle catches fire.
Also bring some Para cord, I ripped my boot lace and that messed me up good hahaha