Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
I found a resource for those of you who have bought BaoFeng radios. Although there are youtube videos for these, most are fairly low-level. This guide is the best one I have seen so far...

Attachments

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

@NavEx, funny you should mention that. I was struggling to get onto a repeater just yesterday, using my UV82HP for the first time. What did it for me finally was when I found this, http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ProgMem.php and realized you have to save the transmit frequency explicitly to the channel in order to use the offset in channel mode. That was the missing step for me. Not sure if you are dealing with the same thing or not... it could be you are out of range.

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
@NavEx, funny you should mention that. I was struggling to get onto a repeater just yesterday, using my UV82HP for the first time. What did it for me finally was when I found this, http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ProgMem.php and realized you have to save the transmit frequency explicitly to the channel in order to use the offset in channel mode. That was the missing step for me. Not sure if you are dealing with the same thing or not... it could be you are out of range.
I did find that and saved accordingly. I can hear the carrier hit the repeater when I key up, through echolink. But no one answers the call, even when I can hear others on the repeater. When I go through echolink, I get the same thing. So I might be hitting the repeater strong enough to activate it, but then not getting through, or there could be another problem, since echolink doesnt get me out there either. Its a bit frustrating.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I just got my BF UV-5RV2+ and am trying to program in a channel to my local NWR station, as well as a few others. Is there a way to manually set the VHF band out further to include the 162.XXX frequencies, or is this something I will only be able to accomplish through CHIRP? Please excuse my use of any terminology, etc. as this is all rather new to me. Thanks!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

If the radio is set to amateur bands only you will have to change it in CHIRP.

Also if you are programming a frequency that you may not want to transmit on but listen to you can set it up with an offset and manually program in the frequency to transmit on, I typically enter something like 000.000MHz or 999.999MHz which the radio can't do. If you try to keep up it just errors and won't transmit.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
This, but it helps to know how to manually do it in case your are away from your computer and need to make changes. A nice PDF stored on the phone really helps.
This x1000!

I know these little radios are infuriating to program by hand, but please learn how. You never know when you'll find yourself needing to add or alter a repeater or frequency.

I usually play with mine on trips, pulling up repeater book in my phone and just seeing which one's I can get in to from the VFO side. Simply throw out your call and "testing" and most of the time you can get a response. Also, some folks are nice enough to go on the reverse and listen for you so they can try to help if you are having difficulties.

It's not impossible to do once you play with it a bit. You need to know how to actually use all of your equipment, otherwise it's all just a collection of really expensive hammers.

Forget which one i have now i still have to refind my charger
Go get one of the little water proof storage boxes from Harbor Freight. One of my chargers sits on my night stand, the other is in my little go box with my second radio and a spare battery.

Reactions: Drifterman

Drifterman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

East Patchogue, NY, USA
First Name
Fluffy
Last Name
Drifter
Member #

This x1000!

I know these little radios are infuriating to program by hand, but please learn how. You never know when you'll find yourself needing to add or alter a repeater or frequency.

I usually play with mine on trips, pulling up repeater book in my phone and just seeing which one's I can get in to from the VFO side. Simply throw out your call and "testing" and most of the time you can get a response. Also, some folks are nice enough to go on the reverse and listen for you so they can try to help if you are having difficulties.

It's not impossible to do once you play with it a bit. You need to know how to actually use all of your equipment, otherwise it's all just a collection of really expensive hammers.

Go get one of the little water proof storage boxes from Harbor Freight. One of my chargers sits on my night stand, the other is in my little go box with my second radio and a spare battery.
Been thinking about it maken a whole travel box just for comms to store everything

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
Been thinking about it maken a whole travel box just for comms to store everything
I have a small plastic case that I carry all comms stuff in - including the instruction books..... and spare batteries....

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have a small plastic case that I carry all comms stuff in - including the instruction books..... and spare batteries....
I did this as I'm about as novice as it gets. I did use the CHRIP software to program my BF-F8HP to GMRS and FRS channels, added local repeaters and working on the HAM lic.