DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I have been exploring Bald Eagle State Forest for about a year now. I have lived in the surrounding area for 42 years.

I just found out about the dispersed/motorized camping in the last 2 years.

Will gladly help you with planning. Questions...just ask, we can find the answers together.

And I need to finish the trip report here

ERod718

Rank I

Member I

Brooklyn, Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, NY, USA
First Name
Ernesto
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Hi Ernesto! I’m sorry I don’t have any info on BESF. I saw you’re from Brooklyn, I used to live in Fort Greene. Just wanted to say hi. I think someone on here has GPX files for trails over there
Hi Ernesto! I’m sorry I don’t have any info on BESF. I saw you’re from Brooklyn, I used to live in Fort Greene. Just wanted to say hi. I think someone on here has GPX files for trails over there
Dustin, thanks for the reply and good to meet you. I'm in Fort Greene and if you ever make it back to Brooklyn let me know. Would be good to meet up.

Reactions: Dusther210

ERod718

Rank I

Member I

First Name
Ernesto
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

I have been exploring Bald Eagle State Forest for about a year now. I have lived in the surrounding area for 42 years.

I just found out about the dispersed/motorized camping in the last 2 years.

Will gladly help you with planning. Questions...just ask, we can find the answers together.

And I need to finish the trip report here

Duatin, wow! I will need to read through your posts because you definitely know the area! Thanks for the help. I'll definitely have questions.

Reactions: DevilDodge

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Dustin, thanks for the reply and good to meet you. I'm in Fort Greene and if you ever make it back to Brooklyn let me know. Would be good to meet up.
Sounds great, feel free to message me if you’re in NJ. Also GMRS I usually monitor channels 2 (462.587) and 22 (462.725), callsign is WRJD392

Reactions: ERod718

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I do not know how you plan to come down to BESF, but if you like paper maps...get the Purple Lizard Maps...atleast for Bald Eagle...but if you get the central PA bundle...you can actually have maps for the entire trip down.

I hope to up date my first over night trip thread soon.

We also plan to get a second and third trip in for September.

The southern section of bald eagle has the most to explore...the northern the least.

Depending on how you plan to spend your time...in October there will be for sure a difference in temperature from North to south and at eleveation.

You can get the maps from the forest service too. They are free...but the Purple Lizard Maps put all the info they will send into one rugged weatherproof option.

I love maps though. I stare at them all the time.

There is always some where over the next hill to get cell service...but you can be without for miles.

There are plenty of small towns for supplies and gas stations are plentiful.

Anxious to hear more about your plans.

I also enjoy trip planning and scouting...so I will help the best i can.

Reactions: ERod718

ERod718

Rank I

Member I

First Name
Ernesto
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

I do not know how you plan to come down to BESF, but if you like paper maps...get the Purple Lizard Maps...atleast for Bald Eagle...but if you get the central PA bundle...you can actually have maps for the entire trip down.

I hope to up date my first over night trip thread soon.

We also plan to get a second and third trip in for September.

The southern section of bald eagle has the most to explore...the northern the least.

Depending on how you plan to spend your time...in October there will be for sure a difference in temperature from North to south and at eleveation.

You can get the maps from the forest service too. They are free...but the Purple Lizard Maps put all the info they will send into one rugged weatherproof option.

I love maps though. I stare at them all the time.

There is always some where over the next hill to get cell service...but you can be without for miles.

There are plenty of small towns for supplies and gas stations are plentiful.

Anxious to hear more about your plans.

I also enjoy trip planning and scouting...so I will help the best i can.
Thanks for the advice! Maps will be on order! I'll be coming in on 80 from New York most likely.

Lots to review and mull over this week. the plan its to take a few long weekends this fall where we leave early Friday morning and leave on a Monday. Drive through forrest during the day to explore and see the sites then find a camp spot in the evening.

We are very self sufficient in my truck now but since the setup is new these will still be some shakedown runs for longer trips out west.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
You have to have the sites reserved before you stay at them. Need a permit to stay the night

Unless you are hiking...then you can camp one night without a permit.

You will have to call the office, emai,l or stop in during business hours to get one. You will need to be able to print it also...if you can not get to the office.

You could camp at one of the state parks by just pulling into an available site. Using the honor system you can stay for one night. Stays over one night require a reservation.

And I can tell you...you will want to reserve in advance for the weekend. Everyone is a camper this year...all the motorized sites and state parks have hit capacity this year.

October things tend to slow down...but all the regular camping folk will probably camp later into the year because of the high crowds.

I have a few of the sites scouted out. Let me know if you have one in mind.

The ones up by I80 are a bit less popular.

The southern ones have been full alot this year.

Keep us posted.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
Thanks for the advice! Maps will be on order! I'll be coming in on 80 from New York most likely.

Lots to review and mull over this week. the plan its to take a few long weekends this fall where we leave early Friday morning and leave on a Monday. Drive through forrest during the day to explore and see the sites then find a camp spot in the evening.

We are very self sufficient in my truck now but since the setup is new these will still be some shakedown runs for longer trips out west.
My GF and I spent a night there a couple weeks ago. I strongly suggest calling the ranger office and talk to them. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. Plus, as DevilDodge stated, you need to get the permits from them anyway. We stayed at campsite 1 because it was a huge campsite which accommodated our camper trailer easily.

The forest roads were well maintained, any road worthy car could handle them. We did come across Walters Rd which was open and not really maintained. It was rocky and unleveled. the drop offs were steep, the switch backs were sharp. It was a great little road.

i lost the gpx file but here’s an idea of where it is. Keep in mind this is just west of Mile Run Rd. Which was where campsite 1 was on.

1597982100493.jpeg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
You can reserve your permit 90 days ahead. If you know the dates...you may want to call or email and see what is available.

If you have any particular questions about a site...let me know. Might be headed that way Sunday. But will definitely be there in the coming weekends