BAJA Oct 2021

• HTML tutorial

blt2rok

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Although it can be windy anywhere anytime in Baja, May is a great time to visit the Sea of Cortez side. We've been doing an extended Mother's Day weekend to an area just south of the town of San Felipe for quite a few years now & it's one of our favorite times of the year to go. Generally, the weather is quite comfortable with daytime temps in the mid-high 80's (sometimes into the low 90's) & nighttime temps into the mid-high 60's. This is also usually right before the temps & humidity start climbing up. The water temps are getting more & more comfortable around this time as well.
That's what we are planning. Just south of San Felipe.

Reactions: HIALT2D

Dur66

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Got it.
Is there anyone from the Sacramento area interested in doing this? Starting next year, I'm hoping to visit Mexico at least once a year. Eventually taking the ferry over to the mainland.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I spend a bit of time in Baja and am looking forward to going back. If I know what you like to do I might be able to give you some beta. Oct. is my favorite month.

Dur66

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

I'm really looking forward to it. I'm planning to spend the night before in San Diego and then get gas at Costco before going over. It's going to take me a day in the Jeep to get down to San Diego as it is.

Reactions: MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I'm really looking forward to it. I'm planning to spend the night before in San Diego and then get gas at Costco before going over. It's going to take me a day in the Jeep to get down to San Diego as it is.
Where are you going? Remember not to fill the gas containers until you are in Baja.

Dur66

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

I'm thinking Tecate or Mexicali crossing. The advantage of Mexicali is that there is a Costco for fuel and supplies . Those crossings are not as busy as the ones to the west. From there down the eastern side of the peninsula and then down to Cabo San Lucas or La Paz to take the ferry to the mainland. Perhaps three weeks.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I would cross Tecate and drie the wine road and than drive 3 to San Felipe, kind of a interesting drive. I find 8 over to Mexicali to be pretty boring as is the road to SF.

D

Deleted member 37338

Has anyone here taken the ferry over to the mainland? I know that my Jeep needs a TIP.
I did take the ferry last year and I drove all the way down to almost Guatemala. NO RECOMENDED. Very dangerous won’t do it again I feared for my life more than a few times.

Dur66

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

What made it dangerous? What were the circumstances behind the times when you feared for your life? Where you in a group or alone?

D

Deleted member 37338

What made it dangerous? What were the circumstances behind the times when you feared for your life? Where you in a group or alone?
When you are stop on the highway and surround by a bunch of heavily arm peoples or at the toll plazas we got searched many time completely They did not leave an area with out looking at. Having an out of mexico plate you will be stop. Those same peoples rob us some minor item. DON’T GO. Unless you want to comete suicide. Even I am Hispanic but not mexican I was single out immediately because my accent. It was just me and mu girlfriend akso they try to scam us with money at the ferry station in La Paz. One more thing. DON’T GO. Beautiful country tho. Very scenic.

D

Deleted member 37338

But don’t get me wrong the Baja Peninsula very safe I go there at all the time to see the Baja Race all of them. As soon They lift the restrictions. I Am heading back if anybody interested in going get in touch with me we can caravan down. Make sure tou go trough your car completely very few auto repairs and some auto parts mainly in the big towns. Endless off roading, unforgettable views. I love Baja

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

When you are stop on the highway and surround by a bunch of heavily arm peoples or at the toll plazas we got searched many time completely They did not leave an area with out looking at. Having an out of mexico plate you will be stop. Those same peoples rob us some minor item. DON’T GO. Unless you want to comete suicide. Even I am Hispanic but not mexican I was single out immediately because my accent. It was just me and mu girlfriend akso they try to scam us with money at the ferry station in La Paz. One more thing. DON’T GO. Beautiful country tho. Very scenic.

I disagree with a lot of what he says: I drove to Puerto Escondido last April and home in May. That was driving most of the west coast of Mexico ( I didn't take the ferry). I was solo in a truck with a kayak and surfboards on top. It is conspicuous. Did I get searched, sure. I find that not speaking spanish to whoever is searching you is better, they tend to get frustrated and quit. I never felt as if my life was in danger. I carry a pack with all my valuables in it, if I get out of the truck it stays with me, always. I stayed mostly where surfers were camping. My spanish is OK but I don't use it at check points. I had a great time. Don't be stupid and /or look for trouble, ( I am sure Rolando didn't). Situational awareness is key. When I didn't feel safe I got out of dodge. Getting stopped on a highway or a toll both are very public places, more likely to be safe.

Having posted all this, I would stay in Baja and see all that I could. There are lots dirt roads to travel and remote places to camp for 3 weeks, no need to jump to the mainland. If you would like some ideas as where to go, PM me. Let me also know what your interests are.