P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
I'm looking for ways to mount my axe and shovel and wondering if someone knows something I havent found yet. I've seen the quick fists and not a big fan cause of how easily they can be stolen so I've been looking for other options for mounting on the side of my bed rack.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I have 22,000 miles through some pretty sketchy neighborhoods and I still have the shovel. My thoughts is they would use the shovel to break the window.
Remember this. If they want it bad enough they will get it. Period. LOL
Zim
A bike lock may help but I could cut it in seconds with a 18v zip saw.

IMG_1416.jpg

P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
I do agree with you but also think that making life easy for the worthless isn't the right way to look at it. It's kinda like the silly little lock on the traction boards, completely useless other then making someone think before acting. Maybe I'll look into mounting inside, under the bed rack to help keep out of sight.

Reactions: Matang

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I use fist grips. I never lock anything down, in fact the only thing I lock up are the vehicles doors, and very rarely do that. As far as shovel security. My grandpa was a very wise old farmer & once remarked that anyone dumb enough to steal a shovel, would be dumb enough to use a shovel. Seriously, though, lock up a shovel? I’ve never met a city boy that knows how to use one properly. Why would they steal it?

Reactions: El-Dracho

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
City people have no idea what a shovel is. A small hole is more work than they do in a decade.

I keep mine out of site in my bed. Chainsaw needs it's blade removed, and then it fits in a Stanley tote.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I use the fist grips with zip ties. Holds the darn thing down as I do not know why, but I get super annoyed by systematic tapping sounds when on hauls.

Reactions: P8trit

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I have been using those Quick Fists of different sizes for many years, e.g. for attaching fire extinguishers, flashlights, etc. These things are really good and I can recommend them. However, I prefer to keep things like shovels, axes, etc. inside the rig, where they are not exposed to the weather and are not completely covered in mud and sand when I need them.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
For a shovel I use a lightly modified set of pipe clamps from the hardware store

All hardware cost less than 10 bucks and offers much greater cut resistance compared to rubber, but bolt cutters and grinder would still open these up if someone was set on theft

Attachments

Reactions: P8trit

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Whatever you decide I suggest that they need to be mounted such that they do not present a hazard. For example, having an axe mounted such that it would injure someone (or worse), such as a bystander, in a collision is not good.

Reactions: MOAK and Kent R

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

We are probably sounding a little paranoid about this. I use a few bike locks to secure stuff while I'm in transit like going into a store.
A shovel is not a high dollar target. LOL
Zim
I use bike looks too. I'm less concerned about theft while camping than I am about coming out of a store (for example) and seeing some whacko kid or nut bar hacking up my stuff ... or worse. It's hard to see in this pic but I made a wire cable with loops that goes through the shovel handle so it's locked down too.

22-06-01 7.JPG

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I use bike looks too. I'm less concerned about theft while camping than I am about coming out of a store (for example) and seeing some whacko kid or nut bar hacking up my stuff ... or worse. It's hard to see in this pic but I made a wire cable with loops that goes through the shovel handle so it's locked down too.

View attachment 270840
Perfect.
Zim

Reactions: PCO6

Kenny

Rank II
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Adirondacks, NY
First Name
Kenny
Last Name
Ackerman
Member #

I'm looking for ways to mount my axe and shovel and wondering if someone knows something I havent found yet. I've seen the quick fists and not a big fan cause of how easily they can be stolen so I've been looking for other options for mounting on the side of my bed rack.
"Rhino Rack Stow It lockable Carrier"