Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I’m brainstorming for a way to mount an awning on my Frontrunner Slimline II rack. What did you do?

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
Home Depot has several types of angle brackets. Some are made by Simpson and are used to hold wood decks together. They come in several metal gauges. Superstrut makes narrow heavy gauge angles for structural framing. They also have other angle brackets to connect post and beams and other items.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Not front runner, but I built my own with some flat stock. Welded small gussets to stop the flex of a normal L bracket.

RusD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Choctaw, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
D
Member #

I just picked up some heavy zinc coated steel L brackets from Lowes. They were 8 or 10 inches, I can't remember, predrilled. I think I may have been able to use the existing holes for both the awning and rack sides; maybe drilled one hole at most. Then took an angle grinder and cut off any extra length I didn't need. Spray painted and bolted up. Pretty cheap and easy alternative and they are rock solid.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
This is what I came up with today. After I paint hem, I’ll put the awning on to check to see how they fit, then I’m going to weld another tab on to use as an antenna mount.

22CBF095-528D-4BCD-9108-DDD188270239.jpeg D7B3A7F7-5C00-4968-A354-59A5DBE9FC50.jpeg