Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
So I have the OEM TRD Pro roof rack on my 2020 4Runner (similar to the double bar FJ Cruiser rack) and there are only a few companies making brackets and mounts that fit it. BajaRack is one of them and most of my other mounts are from them so I ordered a set of their awning brackets thinking that the bolt pattern was a standard. When I got my awning (a 23Zero 180R), I realized that wasn’t the case as the brackets weren’t tall enough to match up to the grooves on the awning. Because of the double bar in the roof rack, I couldn’t use the brackets that came with awning. Instead of returning the awning for one that would match up to the brackets, I fabbed up some adapter plates that would use two of the three bolt holes in the bracket and two of for the awning bolts (one shared hole). when drilling out the holes in the adapter plate, I was stupid and instead of writing down one of the measurements as edge-to-edge I wrote it down as center-to-center. Once I put the plates on the brackets I realized my mistake and redrilled the hole in the correct spot. Then it was just a matter of getting the plates powder coated to match and I had to switch out the lower awning bolts for ones that were a 1/4” longer (for the shared hole).
608CB395-9C5D-4133-BDE3-9294A5505C62.jpeg
6ABBAA6B-281F-42AC-A9FF-8A474C4ECDE4.jpeg
826FFC5C-4605-4CFD-8638-0D7DBA36A9FD.jpeg
4EA862E9-B423-4312-9AB5-632540668EFC.jpeg
541C6721-4C86-4DE0-9074-4D9592E5161B.jpeg
8425BF16-5CD7-456D-82D3-61E63C8C14A5.jpeg

Attachments

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I’m curious how you like the 180R on your 4Runner. The length seems to match better with the stock roof rack than the 180, which is pretty long. I’m just wondering if the 180R projects from the car enough to provide much coverage. Thx.

Also, does the rear lift gate interfere with the rear tension strap on the awning?

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
I’m curious how you like the 180R on your 4Runner. The length seems to match better with the stock roof rack than the 180, which is pretty long. I’m just wondering if the 180R projects from the car enough to provide much coverage. Thx.

Also, does the rear lift gate interfere with the rear tension strap on the awning?
I went with the 180R over the longer 180 because I didn’t want 2 1/2 ft of unsupported awning sticking off the front of the rack like a unicorn horn - it would have been fine under static loads, but I was worried about fatigue after bouncing down washboard roads. Overall, I'm happy with it. We haven't used it yet on the camping trips we've done since getting it, but that's because we've had shade from trees and/or our campsites haven't really been laid out well enough to use it. We do, however, use it when we go down to the beach and it's been great.

The awning by itself has enough coverage for two people and maybe a small table. However, 23Zero also sells a wall kit for the 180R that comes with two additional poles (the two main poles are mounted on the awning and pack up with it). Those two additional poles and the front wall basically give you a rectangular ARB-type awning that extends the coverage area to the front and the side walls give you more shade too. I can't remember for sure if I've ever raised the lift gate while I had the rear tension strap up - one of the things I like about the 4Runner is that I can lower the rear window. I want to say that I've opened the lift gate with the tension strap in place, but it was just long enough to grab what I needed and then I closed it. If you have an 80"+ rack, I'd recommend going with the full 180 but it you have a half rack or a roof rack on a truck I'd recommend the 180R. If it's just you and maybe one more, then you could do without the side wall kit but if there are more of you (or you just want more coverage) then you should also look at getting the sidewalls.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I went with the 180R over the longer 180 because I didn’t want 2 1/2 ft of unsupported awning sticking off the front of the rack like a unicorn horn - it would have been fine under static loads, but I was worried about fatigue after bouncing down washboard roads. Overall, I'm happy with it. We haven't used it yet on the camping trips we've done since getting it, but that's because we've had shade from trees and/or our campsites haven't really been laid out well enough to use it. We do, however, use it when we go down to the beach and it's been great.
Exactly why I was thinking of the 180R - shorter roof rack. It’s just me and I’d like something to cook under and to get in and out of car in rain. I do cook out of the tailgate and typically open it a lot. So, I am curious how much strap interferes. The option to use it without poles is what really interests me. If it takes a lot of work, like with the wall, I think I’d be prone to not put it out.