Atlanta to Moab

• HTML tutorial

mojojo

Rank 0

Contributor I

GA
Hello all - I'm planning a road trip with my family (my wife and our four children) in September and I'm looking for recommendations on places to visit/camp. We're not new to camping, but this will be our longest trip yet. We usually only do two to three nights with a few hours of drive time. My kids are between ages 8 and 11.

We're going to be taking my 2018 Tundra SR5 4x4 with Bilstein 6112/5100 (leveled) and 285/75-17 A/T. Anything too aggressive for this setup, I would like to avoid.
:)

We'll be leaving my home about one hour North of Atlanta, and driving straight through to a hotel in Colorado Springs, CO. We'll stay the day there one night, and see Pike's Peak the next day.

From Colorado Springs, we're going to head down to Mesa Verde to camp for a night.

From Mesa Verde we're going to head back up to Moab for two nights of camping.

I need to figure out two to three more nights worth of camping, then head back to the Atlanta area... also, if you've got any recommendations on places to visit in any of my stops I've already planned, or suggestions on how to make this a more enjoyable experience, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The area all around Telluride/Ouray is worth a day of trails and camping.

What route are you taking?
If you decide to hit I-40 through Arkansas/Oklahoma/Texas (About the same mileage/time as going up through Kansas) you could hit up some trails in the Ozark National Forest and camp there. Stop at the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial (24th Anniversary is today), travel some of old Route 66, stop at one of the Route 66 museums (Elk City or Clinton), and stop at Cadillac Ranch just west of Amarillo. I know kinda of touristy stuff...

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Hello all - I'm planning a road trip with my family (my wife and our four children) in September and I'm looking for recommendations on places to visit/camp. We're not new to camping, but this will be our longest trip yet. We usually only do two to three nights with a few hours of drive time. My kids are between ages 8 and 11.

We're going to be taking my 2018 Tundra SR5 4x4 with Bilstein 6112/5100 (leveled) and 285/75-17 A/T. Anything too aggressive for this setup, I would like to avoid.
:)

We'll be leaving my home about one hour North of Atlanta, and driving straight through to a hotel in Colorado Springs, CO. We'll stay the day there one night, and see Pike's Peak the next day.

From Colorado Springs, we're going to head down to Mesa Verde to camp for a night.

From Mesa Verde we're going to head back up to Moab for two nights of camping.

I need to figure out two to three more nights worth of camping, then head back to the Atlanta area... also, if you've got any recommendations on places to visit in any of my stops I've already planned, or suggestions on how to make this a more enjoyable experience, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!
Hey! I'm the rep for Southern Utah.. I'd love to help you how I can, tons to see in eastern Utah, How old are your kids? I have 3 and have some spots in mind they might love! Give me a shout and we can chat about it. -

Reactions: Cendee

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Im the member rep for Western Colorado/Eastern Utah. I can point you in a few directions for my area... I have a Tundra in my fleet as well.

I would go from Mesa Verde to Silverton/Ouray and camp for a night or two before heading to Moab. Your Tundra can easily go up Yankee Boy Basin, Animas Forks Ghost town, Cinnamon Pass and many other trails there. (Probably stay off Mineral Creek and Poughkeepsie Gulch though)

From there head up toward Moab the unconventional way and cut through Naturita, Paradox and La Sal.

In Moab for 2 days:
Long Canyon, Potash Road, Shafer Switchback loop... maybe a sidetrip to Musselman Arch on the White Rim Trail if you have time.
Tusher Tunnel... its a very cool drive with some hiking and climbing. Walk through the tunnel... at the end, go left and there are 2 slot canyons to explore that both lead back to the parking lot.
Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners. Stop by the Wind Caves on the way out to Chicken Corners.... dont be a chicken and walk around the corner, its worth it.

mojojo

Rank 0

Contributor I

GA
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll research those areas...

Kids are 8, 9, 9, and 12. They are well accustomed to camping. My wife and I are working to build up their hiking stamina by taking them on at least one hiking trip a month leading up to our road trip.

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll research those areas...

Kids are 8, 9, 9, and 12. They are well accustomed to camping. My wife and I are working to build up their hiking stamina by taking them on at least one hiking trip a month leading up to our road trip.
Aaron and Justin have a ton of knowledge in those areas and will guide you to the right areas. Thanks guys for jumping in to help.