Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale, Arizona
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Boynton
Member #

Looking for suggestions on higher elevation dispersed camping. Near a lake preferred. High clearance roads are good (filter out crowds). I typically go to Bear Canyon Lake along the North end, but looking for some new spots. Thanks!

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

Looking for suggestions on higher elevation dispersed camping. Near a lake preferred. High clearance roads are good (filter out crowds). I typically go to Bear Canyon Lake along the North end, but looking for some new spots. Thanks!
I do not have first hand experience at it, but one of my friends really likes Reservation Lake. He says it is not usually crowded. Of course with this post it is not a secret any longer! It is on the Reservation so you have to buy a pass and you may want to call ahead to make sure it is open right now.

Hulsey Lake north of Alpine looks nice. I have been to it a couple times, but I have never fished at it. There is plenty of dispersed camping on and around Escudilla mountain.

John Hallett

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hallett
Wish I would have seen this earlier. Riggs Flat Lake It takes about two hours to get there from Safford. AZGFD built it in the 50's. 9000ft elevation. You cant boondock right next to the lake but you can get about 1/4 mile away. Very few people up there at this time of year. The camp ground isn't bad and at 20 bucks a night it will get you closer to the water. Beware though skunks are a nuisance and there can be bear activity. But if you put anything that they will want to investigate away. They will not bother you.

TN_4Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southside, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

I always go to the Mogollon Rim. Has plenty of lakes down Rim Rd and has wilderness camping that's free and has spots where you can pay to camp that have facilities.