Launch Member

Contributor II

Lynnwood, WA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ulman
Member #

Trying to figure out conditions for the wagon trail over the pass. planning on going this weekend for an easy camping trip with some buddies. I pretty confident it will be dry so not worried about traction, more concerned if there are any major sections that are blocked or closed.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I haven't been on it yet this year. I believe @Ceg is running it today or tomorrow so maybe he'll see this when he gets back and can give you an update. What kind of rig are you running it in? When I ran it last year the section on the west end was a bit tight, slid into a tree (it was muddy) and got a small dent on the rear quarter panel. Also I think one of the guys in a ZJ got his rear panel and a taillight in the same spot. Fun trail though, planning to run it again this fall.

CascadeTraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Lynnwood, WA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Ulman
Member #

I haven't been on it yet this year. I believe @Ceg is running it today or tomorrow so maybe he'll see this when he gets back and can give you an update. What kind of rig are you running it in? When I ran it last year the section on the west end was a bit tight, slid into a tree (it was muddy) and got a small dent on the rear quarter panel. Also I think one of the guys in a ZJ got his rear panel and a taillight in the same spot. Fun trail though, planning to run it again this fall.
I'm running it in my LJ on 31s might pull my M416 behind it. I'm not too concerned about body damage since it will be dry, I'm familiar with the typical slide into a tree truck trap we get on trails around here. My buddy doesn't have any wheeling experience but his JK has lockers so he will be fine.

J&V_Bird

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Twin Falls, ID, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Bird
Member #

Where is this trail located? We are wanting to do a trip this year if we can swing it. And looking for ideas. We are in South Idaho.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I'm running it in my LJ on 31s might pull my M416 behind it. I'm not too concerned about body damage since it will be dry, I'm familiar with the typical slide into a tree truck trap we get on trails around here. My buddy doesn't have any wheeling experience but his JK has lockers so he will be fine.
@Ceg would know better since he runs a JK but I think he had mentioned that the spot I'm thinking of on the east end is too tight for a JK. And correction to my previous post I meant the east end not west.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Where is this trail located? We are wanting to do a trip this year if we can swing it. And looking for ideas. We are in South Idaho.
It’s a fun trail, I had the opportunity to spend some time up there last year with @MrWilsonWJ and some of the Tri-Cities crew.

I just read a news article today which states that the Umatilla National Forest is opening back up tomorrow. I’m still researching other forest closures now to find out if there are any more opening up soon.

@J&V_Bird you might talk to @David H and @reaver to see if they have any trips coming up in the near future up in the Sawtooth’s.

Reactions: J&V_Bird

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I unfortunately think I'm done with trips for the year. I might do an overnighter here or there, but we've got tons of stuff we need to do around the house, and I want to get the trailer built for next year.

Reactions: M Rose

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Too tight for a JK or a JKU?
He runs a JKU, that might have been what people were talking about not making it. I've only ran it once, it's not a hard trail just a couple of tight spots. It was pretty muddy when I ran it so being dry and having lockers (I didn't at the time) you will have an easier time getting over the roots where its tight.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

@CascadeTraveler, did you make it up to run Naches pass over the weekend? If so what were the conditions?

Harvest has started for us so I was stuck working all weekend, looks like trips will be few and far between for me the rest of the year.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Too tight for a JK or a JKU?
I am running it next Tuesday with the JKU.

The east end is real tight in one place for most longer and wide rigs. I have only do it with XJs and smaller. I skip that part with the JKU. FS1913 is where I turn on the start the trail heading West.

There are some real flexy areas on the west end.