Anyone done a test for A/H used with electric hot plate vs induction cooktop vs electric kettle for boiling water

• HTML tutorial

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

My googlfu powers are not up to snuff I cant find a vid or anything on amp hours used to boil water sure they show that some can boil water faster than others but does that mean that they used the least amount of power I dont know thats why I am looking if by chance you have come across and info like that can you post it here with a link thanks...

I am all electric these days and use a $5 hotplate I got at a thrift store works ok for me and have it plugged into my 1000 watt inverter no real issues at all but just wanting to know is all...

I guess that would be easy to find out if one had one of them portable battery things that show you how much power was used but I cant afford one these days...

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I should this a bit more technically, but we have 400 amp hr of battery and use an electric kettle for hot water. I am researching induction for cooking and it seems that there is a huge variance with wattage. My biggest power user is a 250 watt electric induction wall heater, still trying to make that work.

Reactions: Mogs And Dogs
D

Dave in AZ

I googled and watched 100 vids on this.
NO ONE ACTUALLY TESTS CORRECTLY!!
almost all are based on false labeling of wattage, as rinky dink youtubers don't access microwave cables for amps, etc.
Or they take a snapshot of watts, then assume it stays same for whole cook. Worst, most of them just measure time to boil.

I did find a few that were better, and put together a decent picture. I also purchased a good quality kill-a-watt style meter that will measure total energy use over time, and have been testing at home.

Here is what I have found. My slant is "which of these will do the job with least drain on my battery". I concentrated on heating water, as it is the only thing you know EXACTLY how much joules it takes to raise temp, can measure precisely, and is key to camping.

Also of critical note, for drinks we actually target 190f for brewing coffee or tea, and 140f for actual drinking so instant coffee or hot chocolate-- you can save a lot of watts by not overheating then cooling it to drink!
Quantity-- standard size insulated travel mugs eveeyone uses hold 500ml, so large coffee for 2 people needs 1 L of water.

1. Actual device efficiency is NOT the critical factor! More important is heat capture and insulation to prevent heat loss! So, the size and shape of the pan bottom for gas, the insulation of your pan sides and lid for gas and induction. And how long it stays hot while you cook for 5 or 10 minutes. Because very few pots have insulated sides, gas and induction lose heat thru those and water cools faster, which all has to be considered for how you cook.
2. Heating the actual correct amount of water, but not more, is key. Immersion coil, kettle, and microwave all shine here because you easily measure out exactly 1 L for two 500ml large insulated coffee travel mugs. Microwave especially you tend to not heat more than needed.

3. Heating water. Immersion heater coil you stick into a cup is most efficient, if your cup is insulated and you put a lid on. Almost 100% electric to heat conversion.
4.. An electric kettle is almost as good. If you get one with insulated sides and bottom, it is about same, but hard to find with insulated sides!
5. Induction is supposedly next most effient at 78% measured. However, in actual use the wattage spike as induction cycles on and off means you need a much larger inverter than the specified wattage.
6. Microwave, you can get a small 700 or 800 w one. They are supposedly 65% efficient, and despite high power use, you do short precisely targeted usage. With precise water measurements in an insulated plastic travel mug, it can be very efficient in actual use, and is for sure the most efficient to reheat meals.
7. Camping, gas is by far the best heat energy per weight, waaay more btus are in 1 lb of propane than 1 lb of battery. Zero comparison here. Only the need or desire to NOT use propane for some reason, makes electric cooking a contender.

Here are the measurements I have taken so far. I gathered all this to write a blog bit haven't finished testing yet so not organized.

1L water at room temp of 76f, 24.5c, heat to 212. Sm kettle, coleman standard double stove on hi propane. 136f rise, or 75.5c. 4min 20sec, 260sec.

Most peeps prefer to drink at 140f, just 47% of the boil rise. Best temp to brew coffee and tea is 190f, 88c, 76% of the rise or 57c. Assuming linear between 76 and 212f,
122sec for instant or cocoa, 199sec to brew.

It takes 4184 joules to raise 1kg or L water by 1 degree c.
Calculate the kilowatt-hours (kWh) required to heat the water using the following formula: Pt = (4.2 × L × T ) ÷ 3600. Pt is the power used to heat the water, in kWh. L is the number of liters of water that is being heated and T is the difference in temperature from what you started with, listed in degrees Celsius.

So, to boil 1L from 76f or 24.5c, 88watt hours, or 300btu.
To heat for brew, 67wh
To heat for instant or cocoa 42wh.

So, coleman burner transfers 88wh in 260sec
1 wh = 3.412 btu.

Popular mechanics measured 112wh to boil 1L water from 25c. With induction. So to get an actual 88wh input, 112wh was used, making it 78% efficient.

Watt meter was used to measure immersion heater boil 1L water.

Microwave electricity wH actually used was measured. 700 to 800w "microwaves are approx 65% efficient" , haven't seen actual measured test data. But supposedly 135 to 145 wh to boil 1L

Conclusions:
1. Use propane if able, best weight tradeoff for camping.
2. For drinks, use immersion coil first if 500ml or so in mug. Use electric kettle next.
3. If you have a decently thick bottom ferrous kettle or pot for induction, and your inverter can handle, and you measure temps and don't overheat, induction is next.
4. Microwave last.

Food: reheating thawed meals, vacuum packed, microwave is best, cleanest, least extra electricity for cleanup.

Combined All in One Concept: I want hot water for drinks, to heat prepacked meals sous vide style, and for cleanup! If you do one water heat, dump it into a 2 gallon wide mouth thermos, you can then make your drinks, stuff vac packed pouches in there to heat, and close lid. Now hot water doea triple duty-- drinks, cooking, and later cleanup.

Reactions: Matt Hixson
D

Dave in AZ

Update. Just tested kettle and microwave.
Should take 88wh to bring 1 L of 76f to 212f.
Kettle did it at 87 wh, my input water was 78f in AZ today, so a little less. Basically 100% efficient, 1450w heater.

Microwave, a Sharp carousel. Ba kplate says 700w output, this is the small one you see at Walmart size. In actuality, on high power the microwave pulled 1166w while running. It took over 13 min, and used 0.236kwh or 236 wh! So it used 2.7 times as much electricity as kettle, and was in fact only 37% efficient!

Some of that is for sure due to using a pyrex 1L container, that is a lot of thermal mass to heat. However, the fact is that most folks will want to use a sturdy glass beaker to handle boiling water in a microwave. I also added a small ceramic piece in water to avoid superheated water that can happen in slow microwave boils, and to allow water vapor to nucleate on its surface for a true boil reading. I could retest usimg some thinner plastic, but I don't have anything that will fit and doesn't get floppy in hot water. So I will redo with 500ml, half, and double results. But I do think a glass pyrex measuring cup might be a true test for camping, that is what I will be using to make ramen etc.

Retest, 500ml in thin plastic cup. Couldn't really use it, too hot to hold, so it would need a handle. But a shallow plastic measure might be found. Anyways, it uses 0.099kwh, or 99wh, with 44 the theoretical 100% efficient energy needed. So 2.25 x energy as kettle, and only 44% efficiency. Additionally, it took 7 min to boil just 500ml, due to microwave cycling design.

So I am rethinking my microwave use. Maybe for prepacked vacsealed meals, but that will be it. And only because there is zero mess if I eat from the bag.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soapy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Gray
Member #

I recently purchased the Stokes Voltaic electric hot water heater/ cooker. Pretty good setup with modes to boil water or heat soup or even make popcorn. They are introducing a self contained induction cook system with pots soon and I can't wait to try it.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
2 gallon wide mouth thermos, you can then make your drinks, stuff vac packed pouches in there to heat, and close lid. Now hot water doea triple duty-- drinks, cooking, and later cleanup.
Great info! Do you have a recommendation on a 2 gallon wide mouth thermos? I see online lots of 1 gallon double walled thermoses, but seems like in the 2 gallon range they become drink dispensers with a spigot at the bottom.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
D

Dave in AZ

Great info! Do you have a recommendation on a 2 gallon wide mouth thermos? I see online lots of 1 gallon double walled thermoses, but seems like in the 2 gallon range they become drink dispensers with a spigot at the bottom.
Matt, I was wrong, the 2gal was too big, I got a 1gal Igloo from Walmart.
Here is an example, testing some meals tonight. I have salmon with green beans; sliced roast pork with carrots and green beans in butter; and chucken bulgogi. I make these and vacpak individual meals.
Now, boil 1.5L in my electric kettle, 120wh. Made 400ml tea, poured 1100ml or grams over pouches in thermos. Salmon was packed raw, cooked in 2 min visibly, others were cooked so just reheating. 2 meals were 675 g, frozen but thawing in fridge, so just like you'd have in fridge camping, say 32f. Hot to eat in 10 min.

Calcs though:
1100g h2o at 212f = 233,200
675g food at 32f = 21,600
254,800÷ 1775g total = 144f
So all equalize at 144f, plenty hot and cooked.

P.s. USFDA meat pathogen lethality tables, 144f for 5 min required. So this would work easy for raw meat sliced thin. In this case, I poured boiling water over raw bagged salmon first, easily cooking it, then added the 2nd precooked meal to warm.20231219_203528.jpg20231219_204139.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Matt Hixson
D

Dave in AZ

Thanks for the followup. Is that just a regular insulated thermos? I think something like this double walled, stainless, vacuum insulated thermos would do the trick.
That would work. I figure that I just need something cheap to hold hot water for dishes cleanup or washing. Since I'm soaking plastic foodbags from fridge in there, the water probably isn't too tasty after, so no sense buying an expensive drinks one?