Any routes to swim spots in Grand Canyon?

• HTML tutorial

Rujack

Rank I

Traveler I

Going to be stopping here in late sept. Looking on google earth I see some possible roads down to the Colorado, but can’t tell if they’re restricted. Also, I’d rather check out some of the creeks and falls near what looks like Havasu canyon.

Thanks!

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

Everything in the Havasupai tribe area is either flown in by helicopter or brought down on mules. To get there yourself, you either catch a ride on a helicopter or hike down. No roads to access the area.

You may want to check out Lee's Ferry. That is one place you can drive to the river within the canyon. Don't know about swimming as I've never been there myself.

ben

Rujack

Rank I

Traveler I

Thanks Ben. I’ll check out the ferry. It looked like there images of people swimming on google earth so thought I’d check it out.

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Everything in the Havasupai tribe area is either flown in by helicopter or brought down on mules. To get there yourself, you either catch a ride on a helicopter or hike down. No roads to access the area.

You may want to check out Lee's Ferry. That is one place you can drive to the river within the canyon. Don't know about swimming as I've never been there myself.

ben
+1 for Havasupai, but you need a permit well in advance. They've been selling out rather quickly the past few years, however if you get the chance I highly recommend it.

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

You can most definitely swim in the Havasupai falls area. That is part of the appeal of going there. You have to have a permit to go though. They open registration around February each year and fill up all slots for the year in about a week. The only way is to call, they only have one or two lines, so busy signals are part of the experience. You may have more of a chance of getting through as the 10th caller for a radio station prize. If you can arrange it, I'd definitely go there. Probably one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Lees Ferry is on the completely opposite (North) end of the canyon. Not sure if that would be too far out of your way. While in that area you could go to Page, Arizona and do Antelope Canyon. Look it up. Very amazing slot canyon. You have to have a guide from the reservation to go. Might be good to have reservations ahead of time if during peak season. Also you could drive West on the 89A to Hwy 67 and drive down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. There is a lodge there that is great for a nice dinner, as well as cabins that can be reserved for an epic stay. I feel the views from the North Rim are better than the South Rim. While at the North Rim, look up and drive to Locust Point. Any high clearance vehicle can get there when dry. Amazing views and somewhat private camping locations. You can literally camp right on the edge of the canyon. There are some trails from there that you can hike or mountain bike that are part of the Rainbow Rim trail system.

ben

Rujack

Rank I

Traveler I

You can most definitely swim in the Havasupai falls area. That is part of the appeal of going there. You have to have a permit to go though. They open registration around February each year and fill up all slots for the year in about a week. The only way is to call, they only have one or two lines, so busy signals are part of the experience. You may have more of a chance of getting through as the 10th caller for a radio station prize. If you can arrange it, I'd definitely go there. Probably one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Lees Ferry is on the completely opposite (North) end of the canyon. Not sure if that would be too far out of your way. While in that area you could go to Page, Arizona and do Antelope Canyon. Look it up. Very amazing slot canyon. You have to have a guide from the reservation to go. Might be good to have reservations ahead of time if during peak season. Also you could drive West on the 89A to Hwy 67 and drive down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. There is a lodge there that is great for a nice dinner, as well as cabins that can be reserved for an epic stay. I feel the views from the North Rim are better than the South Rim. While at the North Rim, look up and drive to Locust Point. Any high clearance vehicle can get there when dry. Amazing views and somewhat private camping locations. You can literally camp right on the edge of the canyon. There are some trails from there that you can hike or mountain bike that are part of the Rainbow Rim trail system.

ben
Great info! Thanks Ben. My four year old’s first big road trip so want him to see the best!

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

The permit is to hike down to the tribe area, camp, swim in the falls, etc. They do not allow day hikes. You must have a permit to enter the area.

ben

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

We’ll be there around sept 18ish. Will it still be warm?
Hard to predict. Could still be a little warm. Warm to you going to be different than warm for me since I'm used to much higher temps here. But if you are going to be at the North Rim, that is much more dense forest so there is plenty of shade. Nights will be cool for sure, but I wouldn't say cold. You might be a tad too early in the season to see the colors of the seasonal change. There are Aspens in the area that are amazing when they turn color. The South Rim will be on average warmer and likely hot during the day that time of year. We get our last swing of warm weather near the end of September.

ben

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

One more thing, not much cell service in the area. So make sure to have your off road routes cached or saved on your devices. Especially if you decide to base camp at Locust Point and then head to the lodge at night. The return trip in the dark can be hard since some of the fire roads are not mark as well as others. Ask me how I know...

ben

Rujack

Rank I

Traveler I

As long as it’s in the 40s we’ll be fine. Freezing is even doable I just want to be prepared.

Maybe we can come back through a week later on the return leg from Taos.