Any rock light reviews.

• HTML tutorial

pierceg

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missoula, MT
Member #

Looking for brands of rock lights that are worth the cash.
All the Amazon reviews are mixed at best.

Searching on here didn't get many hits other than pics of them on in dark.

Thanks

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have Rigid rock lights on my trailer and love them. I believe they are the Rigid 40020 in the A series. Lots of light, cool white, 3watts, low 0.2amp draw.

A little side advantage to having rock lights under your vehicle or trailer is that when camping around a lot of flying insects, I just use my rock lights to light up camp and all the bugs stay low. That and one other light on a pole away from camp and it is a much more pleasurable night. Last time I did that, though, I ended up with flying ants crawling up my pants leg a couple times. Imagine a full grown man hobbling around with his pants down trying to find that damned bug in his pants.

Be glad to show you images if you really want them. Looks like most other trailers with rock lights. And, I think you only need four for most applications, though they sell kits with six, maybe more.

I'll be adding a set to my van when I do the dual batteries.

Reactions: Wanderlost

sonicstage

Rank II

Advocate I

Thanks
This is what I have the light bar is mounted above the windshield and the 4 other lights are mounted on my roof rack the 25 dollar lights are amazing I highly recommend them and if you need a light bar I did my research I know it’s not name brand but I have used mine several times and it’s as bright as ever I highly recommend both of these
IMG_0985.JPG
IMG_0986.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Square Foot

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, California, USA
First Name
steve
Last Name
vandel
Member #

I've been looking at the Lux Max lights. I like the fact that they are magnetic and you can daisy chain them together. Seems like a fairly easy way to install. I want them more as a camp light then for rock crawling at night.

Reactions: Road

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I went on eBay and bought the cheapest set of rock lights I could find as a starting point. How can you determine quality stuff if you haven't seen the worst? I don't care what other nonsense features they have, but they do offer bright white light as well as other colors and are 4-stage dimmable with the remote. I don't need rock lights, I just wanted some ambient vehicle-area lighting. These were $18 last week but are $24 now. http://ebay.to/2Dq5yeT

Reactions: Graeman and Road

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US

Thanks
KC rock lights, compact, durable and waterproof, have total of 10 on the rig, 8 rock lights and 2 under hood for engine bay work

Reactions: Square Foot

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I went on eBay and bought the cheapest set of rock lights I could find as a starting point. How can you determine quality stuff if you haven't seen the worst? I don't care what other nonsense features they have, but they do offer bright white light as well as other colors and are 4-stage dimmable with the remote. I don't need rock lights, I just wanted some ambient vehicle-area lighting. These were $18 last week but are $24 now. http://ebay.to/2Dq5yeT

I broke these trying to install them. :tearsofjoy: Impact driver fell off the screw and tore the unprotected wires loose from the card. At least get a set where the components are inside some sort of housing. (I resoldered the wires and glued them to the card. I've reconfigured my rooftop tent and I'll probably use them there.)

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

As I wrote way above, four Rigid rock lights under the trailer.

Also have six Rigid worklights around the perimeter of the rack; two on each side, one at each end, and cargo lights in the cargo bay, all set up to a few different switches in the nose box.

I'm finding that I don't use the rack lights much as they're more of a pain to aim, so use portable pod lights from my solar Ready Lights for task lighting, but that I use the rock lights under the trailer more than I thought I would in camp, both for general lighting and to keep the bugs down low, as I mentioned above. Ran across this pic with everything on, so offer it here.

xv2-litup-nortt-800.jpg

Like Kevin108 above, I got some off Ebay, but mine are a 4 led light. I've been running them for a couple years. Run some under the hood, and as rock lights. Sorry, don't have links for them though. They work pretty well, and hanging out the door they work great.20141005_155909_zpsegqgneap.jpeg20141005_202220_zps34iw8yge.jpeg20141018_193912_zpshdqekfbh.jpeg

Reactions: TRED LYT

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Mine wouldn't shut off the last time out. They continuously shined blue on the lowest setting. I unplugged them and just haven't bothered to remove them yet.

Reactions: Mudraider