Any good off road places/trails in the Bay Area?

• HTML tutorial

Influencer II

Hello all,
I own a Subaru Impreza that I would like to take off roading. Are there any off road places/trails within the Bay? I know there's places such as Hollister Hills or Praire City, but it's a bit far for me unless I plan way head of time.

Thanks

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

BLM land might be your best bet although there really isn't anything right in the Bay Area....

Cow Mountain between Ukiah and Clear Lake comes to mind. There are also some area's east of Clear Lake.

One other small off road park to consider is Frank Raines OHV near Patterson off Hwy 5.

Influencer II

BLM land might be your best bet although there really isn't anything right in the Bay Area....

Cow Mountain between Ukiah and Clear Lake comes to mind. There are also some area's east of Clear Lake.

One other small off road park to consider is Frank Raines OHV near Patterson off Hwy 5.
Hmm, good to know. So i'm guessing there's really not much around here then? Even in the Santa Cruz Mountains, or along Highway 35, 1, or 9?

Also, just want to double check, BLM land requires you get a permit, correct?

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

There are some dirt roads around Hwy 1 N of Santa Cruz that you could drive on. I would be careful going to far off pavement up here in the SC mountains though..... growers do not take kindly to folks showing up near their operations! Besides, with all the rain we have been getting the paved roads are collapsing and many dirt roads are impassable!

Reactions: Anders0nic

Influencer II

There are some dirt roads around Hwy 1 N of Santa Cruz that you could drive on. I would be careful going to far off pavement up here in the SC mountains though..... growers do not take kindly to folks showing up near their operations! Besides, with all the rain we have been getting the paved roads are collapsing and many dirt roads are impassable!
When I went to Cow Mountain a few years back we did not need permits.
As far as Santa Cruz Mountain goes, that's good to know... I was actually thinking about traveling over there and searching around after this rain goes away..
Hmm! Good to know!

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

North of SF there are several trails (I use this term fairly loosely, mostly graded gravel and dirt roads) that connect the 101 and the 1. Check out this book for a couple of them:
As mentioned above, there are a lot of trails near Clear Lake and the Mendocino National Forest although those are fairly far away. Check out Old Coast Road (if you search the forum others have posted about it). It's a very easy dirt road with some great views down by Big Sur. Not much in the Bay area proper though, unfortunately.

EDIT: It looks like my link was nixed by the forum. Go on Amazon, search for "Tony Huegel Coastal California" and it should come up.

101Tundra

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Willits, CA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Tyler
Member #

Pillsbury to Covelo would be a great day trip or overnighter depending on how much exploring you do. Start out in Potter Valley end up back on 101 north of Willits. Get a Mendocino National Forest map. We do it alot on our dual sports. It take us about five hours, but we can travel alot faster on the roads. There are tons of roads to explore. Just grab a map first and be prepared for anything.

Sent from my LG-UK495 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: MBroenkow

Influencer II

North of SF there are several trails (I use this term fairly loosely, mostly graded gravel and dirt roads) that connect the 101 and the 1. Check out this book for a couple of them:
As mentioned above, there are a lot of trails near Clear Lake and the Mendocino National Forest although those are fairly far away. Check out Old Coast Road (if you search the forum others have posted about it). It's a very easy dirt road with some great views down by Big Sur. Not much in the Bay area proper though, unfortunately.

EDIT: It looks like my link was nixed by the forum. Go on Amazon, search for "Tony Huegel Coastal California" and it should come up.
Thanks for that information!
Didn't know any of those dirt roads, but illl check out the book recommendation!

Influencer II

Pillsbury to Covelo would be a great day trip or overnighter depending on how much exploring you do. Start out in Potter Valley end up back on 101 north of Willits. Get a Mendocino National Forest map. We do it alot on our dual sports. It take us about five hours, but we can travel alot faster on the roads. There are tons of roads to explore. Just grab a map first and be prepared for anything.

Sent from my LG-UK495 using OB Talk mobile app
Good to know. I've thought about doing a day trip to Mendocino National Forest as it's not TOO far... :)

riffman12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Creek, CA
Member #

Knoxville OHV is supposed to be pretty good. Just north of Lake Beryessa. About 2 hours from the East Bay.

Apparently it's a large BLM area with one big main dirt road, but with lots of little off shoot trails ranging from easy to quite technical.

I tried to go a few weeks ago, but the road from the south had a huuuge mud slide blocking it. Would have taken a long time to go around.

Been trying to find a day when I can try again (and maybe approach from the other side).

Reactions: Ohhhgeee

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

The problem with Knoxville are the knuckleheads shooting of into yonder hills whilst you are driving along that yonder hill. I swear the times I have been there, very irresponsible people were doing very bad things... I'd rather stay away from those potential hazards.

Reactions: BCBrian

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Knoxville OHV is supposed to be pretty good. Just north of Lake Beryessa. About 2 hours from the East Bay.

Apparently it's a large BLM area with one big main dirt road, but with lots of little off shoot trails ranging from easy to quite technical.

I tried to go a few weeks ago, but the road from the south had a huuuge mud slide blocking it. Would have taken a long time to go around.

Been trying to find a day when I can try again (and maybe approach from the other side).
Only one way to find out how Knoxville really is - anyone want to make a group day trip up there the weekend of April 22nd?

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Hollister Hills is your closest bet since you're in Mountain View. But get a map at the Ranger Station and go with someone familiar with the trails to start with. The map was updated a few years ago and is more accurate now. There are good main trails with a green designation that you should have fun with.

Mendo NF is great! I did a trip last Fall with a friend. We started at Covelo and stuck mainly to the M1 going south. Check out one of the MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Maps) to see where you want to go. The main roads should be fine for your Subi. I made a wrong turn and it wound up being the best road, mainly because it had some fun technical sections.

I met some OB members last Spring for a day at Knoxville. It was a cool place but a lot of the trails that looked fun on the map were locked by a gate. We did find some cool areas to explore. We must have been lucky, I don't think anyone was shooting that day.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Here's the link for the Mendo MVUM's. We started with the North Central map.

I'd suggest getting them printed full size at Kinko's on the large format plotter. They'll make you feel all expeditiony when you start highlighting your routes;)