RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Interesting thread.. I'm thinking hard about downscaling to a used Rav4 AWD from many years of 4runners, trucks, Jeeps, etc. Older age now.. looking for max reliability, mpg, comfort, etc. All I need these days is enough awd for sketchy small boat landings, usual forest roads, explore, camp, etc.
This new generation of CUVs is pretty good for soft roading and mild towing. I can say my Rav4 is way more comfortable than my 2014 Tacoma and I haven't found anything in the little forest road exploring I've done with it that it struggled with even on the stock hybrid super efficiency tires.

mnormand

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Normand
Member #

This new generation of CUVs is pretty good for soft roading and mild towing. I can say my Rav4 is way more comfortable than my 2014 Tacoma and I haven't found anything in the little forest road exploring I've done with it that it struggled with even on the stock hybrid super efficiency tires.
Good to hear. I've been binge watching every rav4 awd youtubes for weeks now, testing offroad, trails, etc. . Kinda watching that new torque vectoring system, hopefully it's rock solid and reliable. I can really see this happening one day not too distant. I camp and hunt a lot, pretty sure I can make this work, but keep things very simple and easy too. In a big Silv crew cab 4x4 now 16-18mpg, like driving a whale compared to my prior history lol.