Any black powder shooters amongst us?

• HTML tutorial

TacomaDave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Last year I got a Pietta 1858 New Army .44 caliber and have really enjoyed it. I didn't know anyone locally to help me learn to use it but I found a lot of good videos on youtube and have managed not to blow my hand off so far. Next I want to try my hand at building a Hawken .50 cal from a kit. Has anyone done this and can suggest a good one for a beginner? Any other tips and tricks from veterans are appreciated.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Last year I got a Pietta 1858 New Army .44 caliber and have really enjoyed it. I didn't know anyone locally to help me learn to use it but I found a lot of good videos on youtube and have managed not to blow my hand off so far. Next I want to try my hand at building a Hawken .50 cal from a kit. Has anyone done this and can suggest a good one for a beginner? Any other tips and tricks from veterans are appreciated.
When I was ten the first gun i ever bought my self was a hawkens .54 cal rifle build kit. Was into shooting 22 and trap with four h but wanted todo the black powder as well so bought the kit built it and ran with it! Hunted with it for years and still is the only one I have. Really wanna get a Kentucky long rifle. The kits are fun because you can really make it look old school with the staining and bluing.. ill have to take a picture of it. Its a dark blonde stock an made the barrel rust some to get that tattered look. I got mine threw cabelas and made sure it was the rifle and not the carbine. There was some chisel work on the stock but not bad.... I really wanted a navy revolver when i was younger. Tell I shot one and all six holes went at once and cured that dream real fast. I like the traditional ones alot more. Like hunting with them alot more than a bow. You still had to get some what close but you really felt like a trapper.

Reactions: TacomaDave

BLACK_BETTY

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bowling Green, Ohio, USA
Member #

I bought a colt 1851 navy at an auction but have yet to shoot it. A little bit nervous as I have never shot this style of black powder before. I hunt with a muzzleloader every year but that is a lot different. Harder to screw up I'll say. [emoji16]

I do have a couple of the old kits hiding somewhere but cant for the life of me remember what models.

Reactions: TacomaDave

TacomaDave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I bought a colt 1851 navy at an auction but have yet to shoot it. A little bit nervous as I have never shot this style of black powder before. I hunt with a muzzleloader every year but that is a lot different. Harder to screw up I'll say. [emoji16]

I do have a couple of the old kits hiding somewhere but cant for the life of me remember what models.
From what I've read there's not really much to worry about with these guns. The black powder or equivalents don't have the pressure that modern smokeless powders do. Even if you have more than one chamber go off it doesn't hurt anything. As long as you're holding it right. The soft lead balls won't damage the steel chambers or barrel. The only real danger is if a ball doesn't come out the barrel and another is fired before clearing it. I load powder, then a dab of crisco or bore butter, then a wad and then the lead ball. I've never had a chainfire happen yet.

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Father does a lot of the Sharps/Quigley style shooting. Havent done it with him since I was in grade school but I would like to get into it again.

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

Black powder shooter here. I hint with a .50 caliber Hawken my dad gave me. I also shoot a .44 caliber black powder revolver and a .45 caliber muzzleloader pistol (Jukar).

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

My dad built a Hawken kit in the late 70s. I now hunt with that rifle. I've got alot of guns from ARs to pistols of all calibers. The Hawken is the my favorite. The smell of the powder the sound that is unique to muzzelloaders, the accoutrements, it's a fun hobby. The kits seem pretty easy to put together. Not much to them. Hardest thing would be staining the wood I guess. If you're looking to buy one try Gunbroker. They always have some for sale. I've noticed the prices going up. I'm looking to buy a Hawken carbine now.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
.50 cal Hawken rifle and pistol. Did some mountain man rendezvous for several years, a while back. A good friend of mine got me into it. He did blacksmithing and knife making as well. I've won a few hawk/knife/black powder shoots in my day. Aim small miss small... It's a thing!