Any Backpackers out there?

• HTML tutorial

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Just wondering if there are any backpackers out there and what gear you use that might work well with overlanding. I have backpacked for a few years and have many things such as small stoves, compact chairs, etc. And now that I'm into overlanding things can get a little larger since I don't have to carry everything on my back! But most of the time since it is going to be just me out there I will be able to use much of the same gear to conserve space. Plus on many of the adventures in Arkansas we will be able to do some backpacking where the vehicles cannot go. Daytrips mostly but still...

Any crossover backpackers tell me your experiences?

Toyfool

Rank I

Traveler I

Yup. We use our backpacking gear fot moto camping too as space is the issue. However, if I don't have to carry it I bring along a bigger tent.
On our last backing trip we joked about how "hardcore" we would be if we switched out all our silverware at home with titanium sporks

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

What? You use regular utensils at home? I have only titanium sporks in the silverware drawer. lol. Just kidding. well maybe. I also prefer the larger tents when possible. I hate not being able to even sit up in the backpacking one I have. No need for that when there is room in the FJ for the 8 person even if it is only me! lol

Reactions: Guillermo Palacios

METIS

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Redwood City, CA
Member #

I haven't and doubt I ever will build a dedicated overland rig. My backpacking gear is organized in those plastic Action Packer boxes from Rubbermaid. They are typical storage tubs, but the locking mechanism is 'latchier'. I'll typically throw a couple into the back of the truck and just toss what I need to camp into those in addition to a couple backpacks - a framed backpack for proper backpacking or longer hikes, and a summit bag for quick hikes. The configuration of gear is infinitely configurable and you also have the option of bringing multiple pieces of gear that serve the same function such as a camp stove, plus a jetboil.

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

I backpack and hike as well; lots of gear CAN overlap if you so choose. Smaller stoves used for backpacking may seem underpowered for cooking full meals but I find if im cooking for myself my single MSR Pocket rocket style stove works just fine. Small tools and skills such as wood processing works well for both. Water filters are handy for any outdoor activity as well.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Yep, long time backpacker... overlanding is a recent thing. For me, the biggest carry over lessons are limiting the amount of gear I bring. I'm a lightweight backpacker (fully loaded my pack weight is normally under 20lbs). When overlanding I bring a few extra luxuries, but they're mostly around food and such.

With overlanding, the family has been joining me more and more. We all backpack together, but they appreciate the extra comfort when you can throw a few extra things in the vehicle. I'm primarily a hammock camper, but I now own a few tents and cots and have recently been thinking through a portable camp kitchen. I love the DRIFTA DPOS, but don't think that's the direction I'm going. So that all means more gear, but I'm still frugal in how much gear I bring.

I'm still primarily a backpacker, who's trying to figure out the overlanding thing. Here's me at the overland east expo, trying out a new tent setup.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Because of my health, I am not really able to backpack like I did before. That and mountain climbing! As already said, the carryover is, I still pack light even when overlanding. The big change for me when overlanding is the use of my bigger tent, stove, lantern, camp chairs and my double self inflating air mattress! I do miss getting away from the drive to your camping spot crowd though. There are so many nice spots to camp that can only be reached by hiking to! Benz.

Toyfool

Rank I

Traveler I

I just bought a hill people gear, Aston house BC pack. I haven't been able to use it yet though because I evidently live north of the wall
Perhaps move a little closer to this supposed wall? We spent the holidays cruising the boarderlands of AZ and NM. 70's mid afternoon but then down to freezing at night. Here's a shot of us out hiking in the Buenos Aires NWR a couple of days after xmas:

The Traveling Shepherd

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Michigan
Member #

Perhaps move a little closer to this supposed wall? We spent the holidays cruising the boarderlands of AZ and NM. 70's mid afternoon but then down to freezing at night. Here's a shot of us out hiking in the Buenos Aires NWR a couple of days after xmas:

"north of the wall" is a Game of Thrones reference. I'm in Michigan and it's been in the single digits

Toyfool

Rank I

Traveler I

Ah yes, sorry, didn't get it. Keeping up with pop culture is not my forte. That's one heck of a wall. I got the Michigan thing - too cold for my blood.
Anyway, here's one way I carry my backpacking gear, sans pack.
Along the CDT in far northern NM, near a place called Osier.

And a little further south with Taos way out by that range in the far field. I think this was the 4th of July last summer.

Tent, bag, pad, pillow, stove, bowl, spork, dirty underwear, and a fly rod. What else do you need? Pretty easy to get away from the crowds and this route is easily done with 4 wheels. I'd have to double check but I am pretty sure it's part of the NMBDR as published by Butler Maps, although that route diverts down stream along the Rio de Los Pinos to the east of Cruces Basin, avoiding the coolness of Osier. I think I saw one dude the entire day and he was section hiking the CDT southbound.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
Pretty easy to get away from the crowds and this route is easily done with 4 wheels. I'd have to double check but I am pretty sure it's part of the NMBDR as published by Butler Maps, although that route diverts down stream along the Rio de Los Pinos to the east of Cruces Basin, avoiding the coolness of Osier. I think I saw one dude the entire day and he was section hiking the CDT southbound.
I frequent NM (enchanted circle area) and have been interested in doing NMBDR. I’ll be driving from Big Bend to Denver in March. How much of this route do you think would be doable? I’m guessing most of it will be blocked by snow.

Toyfool

Rank I

Traveler I

In a "normal year" yes it would be completely impassable in March, and is probably even closed. Even if you did get up there in March it wouldn't look like this. Try the Taos Plateau and the Rio Grande National Monument.

Find a way to visit northern NM in July - September. The southern 2/3 of the NMBDR is likely fine any time of the year but monsoon season (summer) could cause serious issues with clay, especially between Grants and Cuba.

But since this is a backpacking thread, I must recommend an excursion into the Cruces Basin Wilderness. This probably isn't true but close: it must be the countries smallest Wilderness area. Regardless, it is a gem of a place with no real trails per se, but you can wander aimlessly up 3 different drainages. The better camp sites I saw were along Diablo Creek but really you can throw down your tent any place that's flat. The creeks are tiny and can be leaped over in many spots. The fish are plenty wild but small. You can do what you want but practicing catch and release with barbless hooks leaves a better experience for the next guy. It's really just about being out there, right? Besides, a friend shared a tale about cooking a trout over an open fire drawing a large bear to his campsite down in the basin. Sticking to Mountain House cuisine or the like may draw less attention.

As for overlanding your way into the trail heads, coming from the Colorado side would be more challenging (i.e. fun) as it didn't appear to me that the section of road between Lagunitas and the boarder had been maintained in quite some time. From the NM side FS87 is grated and graveled except for the last mile or so from FS87 down to the main trailhead. It's fairly rutted up because its north facing and holds snow/mud late into the season. We noticed a newish 4Runner parked at the TH over Labor Day weekend a couple of years back that looked like he might of slid off the road and hit a tree as the front corner of his rig was smashed in pretty good. We had zero issues in our not even 30 day old 4Runner. Pfew.:innocent:

Last edited:
Reactions: soonersfan

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I was thinking I might try and do the southern route to Grants and take highway the rest of the way. I am booked solid in 2018 and the southern portion will likely be way out of my way. I could easily pick up the northern portion on my way to Ouray at the end of the summer though.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Backpacking is my favorite. I did two trips to Philmont back when I was a lad. Still have all the gear but haven't been in years. I never gave up on my external frame pack. Don't see many of those around today.

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

I use almost all the same gear whether I am kayak camping, backpacking or overlanding. The main difference is if my wife goes... Then I take a bigger tent rather than just my hammock setup. As far as cooking... When overlanding I take what seems to be a small kitchen. LOL