Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Most everyone these days has heard of Amsteel and other similar synthetic ropes. I was wondering what other uses you may have found for it around the camp or in your vehicle.

I first learned of it when I began working on a hammock setup for solo travels as a light weight and fast means of setting up camp when on trips with friends. I bought some 7/64 and made my whoopie slings from it as well as a ridge line for my hammock.

I also recently realized I needed something to make die downs for my roof rack since Nissan used a huge tube for the side rails and my straps don't have enough slack on the mechanical end to wrap around the tube. My daughter and I used some 1/8 Amsteel to make continuous loops that we can wrap around the rail as a choker to anchor the tie down straps to. With a 2500lb break strength in single line, this should be more than capable of holding what we put on our roof rack.

What other places do you use something like this?

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Like you, I got into Amsteel because of my hammock camping and have done the whoopie slings, ridgeline and continuous loops. Have also made some soft shackles and have retrofitted some of my tent tie-downs with whoopie slings for ease of adjustment.

Reactions: TerryD