Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

I'm going to put a flatbed on my '04.5 2500. I'm not sure if I should go aluminum or steel. I plan to get a four wheel popup camper from fourwh.com
With steel I have the knowledge and tools to repair and modify it.....Do y'all think that the lighter weight of aluminum is worth losing the flexibility that steel offers? My suspension can handle either one, and the 5.9L turbo diesel is putting out 400hp with 685 ft lb of torque at 23mpg highway 19 average

Reactions: Luis Merlo

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
I would stay with Lightweight. If its the welding and you can already weld steel, how difficult is it to weld Al.
Just my .02 cents. I have had two 4wheel campers and they are awesome!!!!!!

Reactions: Lifes2short4BS

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

the more that I think on it, the more I'm leaning towards steel. It will help the truck not be super bouncy when it's in DD mode, and I can always add some long travel air bags for when it's loaded down in overland mode.

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Im a steel fan, i have had both but found steel to hold up better in the long run with alloy i found unloaded it way to light in the back

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I personally would go steel. I also have had both in the past. Actually truck came with one and ended up trading for a steel one. The truck got used a lot empty so the aluminum bed was too light. I did wheel with both and i really didn't notice much difference. I did notice the weight but since its so low, handling felt very close. Also the nice thing with the steel and using it for working purposes was if i needed to weld something in place it was easy to and grind it back off. With having a common rail I'm sure you truck wont care which one you put on. I had them on a 12v that was sitting at 305hp and 736tq and it could care less which one.
Just my .02